Unsupported Dell Switches

Adam Gray

Sep 16, 2021, 6:34:18 PM9/16/21
to sonicproject
I have a handful of Dell S4xxx (4148 and 4048) switches that run ONIE and are Broadcom based asics. I don't see them on the official supported list of switch platforms. I am curious what it takes to get them working on the SONiC platform? Currently they are supported by cumulus and openswitch though both of those projects seem to be dead or falling off quickly.

I would be happy to work on getting these switches working though I am not sure what all is involved as I am new to SONiC. I would appreciate guidance.

Adam

Paul Menzel

Sep 17, 2021, 3:01:47 AM9/17/21
to Adam Gray, sonicp...@googlegroups.com
Dear Adam,

Am 17.09.21 um 00:34 schrieb Adam Gray:
Did you ask your Dell sales representative or contact the Dell support?
Dell works on SONiC too, and if they see customer demand, maybe they are
able to add the support.

Kind regards,

Paul

Adam Gray

Sep 18, 2021, 1:47:58 PM9/18/21
to sonicproject
While I appreciate the response it does not answer my questions. Do you know what is required to make another switch work with SONiC? I can't seem to find clear docs about that.

Adam

Christian Svensson

Sep 18, 2021, 2:00:36 PM9/18/21
to Adam Gray, sonicproject
You mostly need a SAI configuration for the platform as well as I2C code to configure and monitor SFP modules, and optionally hardware sensors. You can check e.g. https://github.com/Azure/sonic-buildimage/tree/master/device/dell/x86_64-dellemc_s5296f_c3538-r0 for the platform specific code for a device. It's not that much, but writing the code requires a source like documentation or another implementation which to mimic.

Regards,