Loopback addresses on a VoQ Chassis

Sandeep Malhotra

May 21, 2021, 9:38:56 AM5/21/21
to sonic-chassis-subgroup
Hello,

In a multi-asic pizza box config (generated from the sonic-mgmt gen-mg) I see that all the frontend asics are using the same loopback Ipv4 and Ipv6 address (Loopback0) and different internal loopback address (Loopback4096) for the iBGP connections between the frontend and the backend asics.

For VoQ chassis, all asics in the linecards are front-end asics, and we have a full-mesh iBGP connectivity between the asics.

Currently, in our proposed T2 topology for sonic-mgmt tests, we are assigning a different loopback address to each asic - is that OK?

Or should:

  • all the asics in a linecard have the same loopback address Loopback0 address, but each linecard could have a different loopback address.
  • all asics in all the linecards have the same loopback address.
  • use Loopback4096 like mechanism for the iBGP connections.
Thanks.
Sandeep

Eswaran Baskaran

May 21, 2021, 5:47:11 PM5/21/21
to Sandeep Malhotra, Arvindsrinivasan Lakshmi Narasimhan, Abhishek Dosi, Judy Joseph, sonic-chassis-subgroup
Hi Sandeep,

Assigning a different loopback address to each asic makes sense to me. If we don't do that, we will need another mechanism like the Loopback4096 scheme to form the internal mesh.

I faintly remember there was some reason to assign the same Loopback0 address in the multi-asic pizza-box case though. I explicitly copied some multi-ASIC experts for help here.

Thanks,
Eswaran

Rita Hui

May 21, 2021, 11:09:54 PM5/21/21
to eswaran, Malhotra, Sandeep (Nokia - US/Westford), Arvindsrinivasan Lakshmi Narasimhan, Abhishek Dosi, Judy Joseph, sonic-chassis-subgroup

++subgroup.

May 24, 2021, 6:36:16 AM5/24/21
to sonic-chassis-subgroup
Hi Rita, Eswaran, Sandeep,

I wanted to make sure we have a clear distinction between:
() Recycle Interface - the physical interface that connects the Egress pipe to the Ingress pipe.
    Each Core on each device will have such an interface
() Recycle System Ports (out system ports) connected to the Recycle Interface.
   Typically there are few Recycle ports connected to the same Recycle Interface, this enables the user to distinguish between different use-cases and traffic that needs to use the Recycle Interface.
() Loopback address - address that typically "hand" the processing to different entity, it may be as simple as tunnel terminated at this node, or control plane traffic that is destined on the system's "host"

As noted some of the loopback addresses are global to the Router, while other loopback addresses have local significance.

I don't fully understand the exact issue, but if you can define (or point to) the issue, will be happy to give my view/advice.

Thanks,
Israel

Heidi net

Jun 7, 2021, 8:19:26 AM6/7/21
to 'Israel Meilik' via sonic-chassis-subgroup
Hello, I'm currently on leave with limited access to my email. I will reply to your email as soon as possible. Thank you.
> This electronic communication and the information and any files transmitted with it, or attached to it, are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged, protected by privacy laws, or otherwise restricted from disclosure to anyone else. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying, distributing, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender, delete it from your computer, and destroy any printed copy of it.

Heidi net

Jun 7, 2021, 8:23:36 AM6/7/21
to 'Rita Hui' via sonic-chassis-subgroup
Hello, I'm currently on leave with limited access to my email. I will reply to your email as soon as possible. Thank you.

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonic-chassis-subgroup/SJ0PR21MB19826C6424656E20368FE5A695289%40SJ0PR21MB1982.namprd21.prod.outlook.com.

Heidi net

Jun 7, 2021, 8:24:51 AM6/7/21
to 'Eswaran Baskaran' via sonic-chassis-subgroup