SONiC Chassis Subgroup PR Status [6/9/2021]

Anshu Verma

Jun 9, 2021, 1:39:35 PM6/9/21
to Arvindsrinivasan Lakshmi Narasimhan, Abhishek Dosi, Judy Joseph, Suvarna Meenakshi, Neetha John, Duraisamy, Sureshkannan (Nokia - US/Mountain View), Prince Sunny, saravanan, sonic-chass...@googlegroups.com, Keesara, Srikanth (Nokia - US/Westford), Prabhu, Manjunath (Nokia - US/Mountain View), Ngoc Do, eswaran, Rita Hui, Guohan Lu, Ying Xie, Xin Wang, Shyam Kumar (shyakuma), Anand Mehra (anamehra), Tamer Ahmed

Hi all in “To” – please address your action items by/before 6/11, we are required to get all the PRs in master asap to make 202106 release, appreciate all your help on the program.

Chassis Subgroup PR Tracker:

Feature

PR

Owner

Reviewer  - Status

Action item

Inband Vlan Code PR

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-swss/pull/1555

On hold

Song (Arista)

@Veda Ganesan approved

@Guohan - change requested

@Abhishek  - change requested

@Prince - Change requested

6/9: No new update

6/2: PR will be put on hold, will proceed with inband port if testing is successful.

5/26: Song to address review comments

5/12: Abhishek to approve and merge.

4/28: Abhishek, Prince, Guohan to take a look. Song to address review comments.

4/27: Review comments provided by @Prince

4/19: @Guohan, @Abhishek- could you please review and approve

4/12: Updates made by Song, thanks! @Guohan, @Abhishek- could you please review and approve

Disable unnecessary processes in swss and the orchagent-portsyncd dependency for fabric asic

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-buildimage/pull/5569

Ready for Merge

Ngoc

(Arista)

@Prince -approved

@Srikanth

@Guohan

@Tamer - approved

6/9:Approved by Tamer, thanks. @Prince - Please help with merge by 6/11

6/2: @Tamer to review and approve, critical for 202106 release

5/26: Tamer to review and approve, approved by Prince. Thanks!

5/19: Ngoc to address review comments

5/12:  @Tamer could you please provide input/review.

4/27: @Prince, @Guohan, @Srikanth - please review and approve.

Bootstrap service for pluggable fabric card on VOQ chassis

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-buildimage/pull/7477

Ready for Merge

Manju (Nokia)

@Judy- pending

@Suvarna- pending

6/9: Manju to rebase for fixing test failures, @Suvarna & @Judy to review and approve by 6/11

@Judy to help with merge

6/2: Judy, Suvarna to review and approve.

5/26: On hold, Cisco team to share new PR

5/12: Manju to split the PR into two parts

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-platform-daemons/pull/175

Ready for Merge

Ngoc

(Arista)

@Manju(Nokia) - Under review

@Judy - pending

6/9: Tests are passing, @Judy to approve and merge by 6/11

6/2: Agreed on the current approach, Judy, Manju to approve.

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-platform-common/pull/185

Ready for Merge

Ngoc

(Arista)

@Judy - approved

@Joe - change requested

6/9: Tests are passing, Joe to approve,  @Judy to merge by 6/11

6/2: Judy to review and approve

Buffer pool type=”both” support

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-swss/pull/1735

Ready for Merge

Sonic-swss

Song-approved

Neetha- approved

6/9: @Neetha John to help with Merge

6/2: Approve by Song, Neetha. Thanks!

Encap index chg handling

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-swss/pull/1729

Sonic-swss

Song - approved

Abhishek - pending

6/9: @Abhishek  to review, approve by 6/11

6/2: Requested review from Abhishek

KVM test bed support

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-swss/pull/1724

Sonic-swss

Abhishek- pending

Song - pending

6/9: @Abhishek  and Song to review and approve by 6/11

6/2: Abhishek to review and approve

Device_id/asic_id not mandatory (enhancement to PR#7513)

Judy (MSFT)

6/9: @Judy to raise PR (6/11)

6/2: Judy to raise new PR for changes, anand to provide details for Cisco SAI

DNX Platform

https://github.com/Azure/sonic-buildimage/pull/7598

Judy (MSFT)

Ying - pending

Joe - pending

Xuhui - pending

6/9: Chassis has dependency on this issue, Judy to follow-up.

Chassis Test PRs Effort:

Functional area

Description

PR#

Owner

Reviewed

PR Status

 PMON

Thermal CLI test case

Nokia

Need json file for sonic build image

BGP on Chassis Test plan

 Placeholder

Arista

3/20: No new update

3/12: No new update

3/5: Need ETA from Arista team @Eswaran Baskaran

Fabric Test plan

 Placeholder

Arista

3/20: No new update

3/12: No new update

3/5: Need ETA from Arista team @Eswaran Baskaran

Everflow support Test plan

 Placeholder

Arista

3/20: No new update

3/12: No new update

3/5: Need ETA from Arista team @Eswaran Baskaran

VOQ Chassis

VOQ multi-asic

3463

Nokia

6/9: @Arvindsrinivasan provided review comments, Tcusto/Arista to address/add input by 6/10

6/2: Arvind please review and approve

5/26: Arvind please review and approve

Minigraph support in sonic-mgmt

Gen-mg support for fabric asics and single asic line card

 3245

Arista

 Yes

6/9: @saravanan please address review comments by 6/10, few are open.

6/2: Suvarna, Abhishek - please review and approve at the earliest. Approved by Sandeep, Ying thanks!

5/26: Suvarna, Sandeep to review

5/19: Under review @Arvind, @Abhishek, Suvarna

4/19: @Abhishek - please review and approve, thanks.

4/12: Approved by Ying, thanks! @Abhishek - please review and approve.

4/5: Under review by sanmalho-git; @Ying, @Xin Wang  -could you please approve and merge.

3/20: No new update

3/12: No new update

3/5: Need ETA from Arista team @Eswaran Baskaran

Gen-mg support for voq BGP

Arista

6/2: Changes are captured in #3245

4/28: Saravanan to share PR#. Multi-asic LC will be addressed in separate PR.

Gen-mg support for voq in multi-asic line cards

Nokia

6/2: Sandeep to share new PR, to be created after 3245 is merged.

5/19: Need #3245 to be merged first for PR creation

4/28: Sandeep to share PR#

 T1 Test case conversion

System Health, Syslog

TACACS

Nokia

Auto_restart, CRM

Nokia

Chassis DB Connectivity (Maxime/Arista Team)

A problem we have been looking at is the connectivity between multi-asic namespaces on linecards to Chassis DB running on the supervisor.

On a VoQ Chassis, we configure an internal network with subnet 127.100.0.0/16. Each linecard has a subinterface eth0.42 with IP 127.100.<slot id>.1. This allows all docker instances to connect to Chassis DB.

Problem: On a multi-asic linecard, per-asic docker instances run in a separate namespace and are only connected to docker's default bridge (240.127.1.1/24), so they can't access our 127.100.0.0/16 network.

We solved this problem by creating a mac vlan docker network that attach to eth0.42 of the linecard. Each per-asic docker instance is connected to this new docker network and has an eth1 interface that gets an IP in the 127.100.<slot id>.1/24 range.

This step cannot be done by platform implementation as all multi-asic namespace creation and which network to attach to are pretty much hardcoded in docker_image_ctl.j2.

This works for us, but since this is dependent on how the internal network was configured, and this is part of platform implementation as per VoQ architecture design document

(see https://github.com/Azure/SONiC/blob/master/doc/voq/architecture.md).

So it seems that we should come up with a generalized way to connect to Chassis DB from linecards.

Did any of you ran into similar issues with multi-asic linecards?

Should we bring this up to tomorrow's Chassis Subgroup Meeting?

Next steps:

@Duraisamy, Sureshkannan (Nokia - US/Mountain View)Suresh/Nokia team to share proposals (three approaches discussed during Chassis subgroup meeting) over the email.

Topic can also be discussed in 6/16 meeting if needed.

Thank You,

Anshu Verma

Senior PM Manager | Azure Networking

+1 (415)-637-2220