Bulk Apply Permission Template REMOVES permissions for creators

ada...@appirio.com

Jun 8, 2018, 11:41:07 AM6/8/18
to SonarQube
I'm using SonarQube v6.5 and am still getting used to the permissions model.
I was experimenting with 'bulk apply permissions' to allow a new group to read our existing Sonar Projects.
I updated our default permission template to give permission to those users, and bulk applied it across all projects.
The default permission template says that it will give project creators full access to projects they create. But when I bulk applied that template to our existing projects, it deleted permissions for project creators and only gave access to the groups that were explicitly mentioned in the project template.

If a project had manually given permissions for many users this would have deleted all of those also it seems.

This seems to mean that 'bulk apply permission template' is a destructive operation and there should be a clear warning when you use this feature. Am I understanding correctly? Can the development team please add such a warning to the tool? Ideally permissions for project creators should also not be deleted.

G. Ann Campbell

Jun 8, 2018, 12:01:52 PM6/8/18
to SonarQube
Hi,

Giving project creators full access to their projects simply grants them individual rights on that project at creation. It does not create an ongoing tie between user and project.

And when you apply a permission template to a project, you are resetting that project's permissions to what's in the template, overriding any previous settings.

So you are getting the expected behavior. But I'm sorry you were surprised by it.

Ann

ada...@appirio.com

Jun 8, 2018, 4:38:52 PM6/8/18
to SonarQube
Can I request a warning to be added to that feature before you apply it across projects? The behavior of REMOVING permissions for project creators is a destructive change and there's currently no warning message displayed.

G. Ann Campbell

Jun 9, 2018, 4:23:50 AM6/9/18
to Andrew Davis, SonarQube
Hi,

I'll forward this for UX consideration.

Ann

--
Important: this SonarQube Google Group will close on June 11th, 2018, in order to move to a new forum to power even more community discussions. See details in this post: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sonarqube/BbSZz-JnhVM/DavhMueEAAAJ
---