Licensing SonarQube

keith...@bill2pay.com

Dec 19, 2017, 9:00:18 AM12/19/17
to SonarQube
We are considering using SonarQube, tied into TFS. However, before we move forward we need to understand the licensing structure.

On the Sonar source website, it shows 900 Euros for up to 250K LOC per instance. Is instance a TFS server and centralized or per developer?

How do we determine what the final cost of SonarQube will be to our company? Examining the website https://www.sonarqube.org/ I did not see any means to contact the company directly to obtain any details on licensing and use.

Thank you all in advance.

Bill2Pay

tylers...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2017, 12:00:34 PM12/19/17
to SonarQube
You don't have to pay for SonarQube to use it, only if you want a support contract and to enable certain plugins/languages.  You can download from here: https://www.sonarqube.org/downloads/

Here are the commercial terms:  https://www.sonarsource.com/plans-and-pricing/

Tyler
Just a SonarQube user...

keith...@bill2pay.com

Dec 19, 2017, 12:06:27 PM12/19/17
to SonarQube
I was informed that SonarQube is free, while that is true, we need to use VB.NET and this is not included in the free version. So we need to use the paid for version of the software.

tylers...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2017, 12:19:13 PM12/19/17
to SonarQube
Correct, the plugin for VB requires the developer edition which is 900 Euros per year at 250k lines of code.  The cost is per instance of Sonar so that should be a pretty flat cost unless you get bigger projects.  I don't think the plugin itself has a cost.

Tyler

G. Ann Campbell

Jan 2, 2018, 11:52:19 AM1/2/18
to SonarQube
Hi,

@Tyler's right (thanks @Tyler!). For VB.NET you need developer edition. Pricing is based on the number of lines of code in your SonarQube instance. (BTW, the Developer Edition includes Branch Analysis which is smart enough to exclude LOC in branches from your global/pricing LOC count). The dropdown at the top left of the Developer Edition page on SonarSource.com gives you the pricing scale. If you need more info, actually filling out that form will prompt our elves to contact you. :-D

Ann

sharad...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2018, 1:49:24 AM1/22/18
to SonarQube

We are looking to implement the code review tool in our organization, where most of the code is developed in C++/MFC/C# using MS Visual Studio. We would like to review the code at 2 levels, i.e. pre-build @ server end, and also in development IDE. Kindly let us know the best suitable product with pricing for the same.

Also since C++ is not mentioned in the supported language for Community edition, does it means that we will be able to run it with pre-defined rules, but not been able to create custom rules? Also as per our understanding Sonarlint is free, and comes with some pre-defined rules. Also please guide us that is there any limitation of lines of code in any of the edition?

G. Ann Campbell

Jan 22, 2018, 3:22:13 AM1/22/18
to sharad...@gmail.com, SonarQube
Hi,

Ann

P.S. The standard courtesies (Hi, Thanks, ...) are appreciated in this group.

---
G. Ann Campbell | SonarSource
Product Manager
@GAnnCampbell

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:49 AM, <sharad...@gmail.com> wrote:

We are looking to implement the code review tool in our organization, where most of the code is developed in C++/MFC/C# using MS Visual Studio. We would like to review the code at 2 levels, i.e. pre-build @ server end, and also in development IDE. Kindly let us know the best suitable product with pricing for the same.

Also since C++ is not mentioned in the supported language for Community edition, does it means that we will be able to run it with pre-defined rules, but not been able to create custom rules? Also as per our understanding Sonarlint is free, and comes with some pre-defined rules. Also please guide us that is there any limitation of lines of code in any of the edition?

Aclin, Keith

Jan 22, 2018, 8:43:05 AM1/22/18
to G. Ann Campbell, sharad...@gmail.com, SonarQube

Thank you deeply for the link, and guidance.

Sincerely,

Keith Aclin - PMP

Bill2Pay Project Manager

keith...@bill2pay.com

904 – 421 - 7232

[...]

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain private, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. The name of the sender and sender’s company appearing within this message is meant only to identify the sender and the company, and should not, in itself, be construed as modifying or creating a legally binding agreement.

sharad...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2018, 3:56:27 AM1/23/18
to SonarQube

Thanks a lot for your reply.

If I install only Sonarlint for VS with additional language support (No Sonarsource server), will I still need to get some paid plan. We need to start with no cost and then migrate to advance version, once we get familier.

Again thanks in advance for your help. :)

On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 1:52:13 PM UTC+5:30, G. Ann Campbell wrote:
[...]

G. Ann Campbell

Jan 23, 2018, 4:11:15 AM1/23/18
to SonarQube
Hi,

You will not. Standalone mode is free.

Ann

G. Ann Campbell

Jan 29, 2018, 7:52:29 AM1/29/18
to Sharad Kumar Bothra, SonarQube
Hi,

Please don't forget to include the Google Group in your replies.

By "4 standalone solutions" I assume you mean 4 separate instances of SonarQube.

Developer Edition is available for up to 20 million Lines of Code, and each commercial edition is licensed on a per-instance basis. It will work either way, but you may be better off combining your instances. In the end, though, that's a conversation to have with the sales side. You can start it by filling out the form on this page.

Ann

---
G. Ann Campbell | SonarSource
Product Manager
@GAnnCampbell

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 4:13 AM, Sharad Kumar Bothra <sharad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for your reply, and sorry for the delay in response.

I have some more queries-

-          I have 4 standalone solutions which combine cross 1M line of code, but any single solution doesn’t exceed 0.5M lines. Can we still use “Developer Edition”?

-          Can we use CppCheck plug-in Sonarcube? If yes, then from which version of Sonar?

Again thanks in advance for your help. :)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonarqube/10fdf2f1-9b60-451c-8d3e-69103be58549%40googlegroups.com.

sharad...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2018, 10:38:04 AM1/30/18
to SonarQube