New SonarQube plugin : WTF!

Michel Pawlak

Aug 29, 2015, 2:12:46 PM8/29/15
to SonarQube
Hello,

I would like to announce the first release of the WTF! plugin for SonarQube.

Its purpose is simple : allow developers to annotate the Java code they are reviewing in a way that :
- is visible in SonarQube (issues + widget)
- contributes to the technical debt (developers decide the remediation cost of each WTF! issue)
- informs team members of the reasons that made them add the issue (explanation message is mandatory)
- informs team leaders of the error category the reported WTF! relates to
- informs team members of the total cost of WTF!

Based on reported WTFs, teams can discuss and hopefully better plan corrections during sprint plannings.

Well you can read the full rationale, installation as well as usage guidelines and see screenshots on the project's webpage: https://github.com/QualInsight/qualinsight-plugins-sonarqube-wtf

Comments, and feedback would be appreciated :-)

Oh and yes, "WTF!" stands for "What the fuck!"

Kind regards,

Michel

P.S. the plugin name refers to Tom Holwerda's comic strip on "The only valid measurement of code quality: WTFs / minute"

Freddy Mallet

Aug 31, 2015, 9:10:11 AM8/31/15
to Michel Pawlak, SonarQube
WTF this plugin is about ? :)

Long life to this @wtf annotation !

Freddy MALLET | SonarSource
Product Director & Co-Founder
http://sonarsource.com

G. Ann Campbell

Aug 31, 2015, 9:51:52 AM8/31/15
to SonarQube, michel...@gmail.com
Hi Michel,

I've added this to the Community Plugins page.

I've also put it through its paces & would like to say: nice job! :-)

I was a little surprised/disappointed though that you didn't also offer a manual rule so WTF's could be added directly in the SonarQube interface (altho I'm not sure you'd be able to associate technical debt there.) Such a rule would also allow WTF's where annotations can't be used. I'm told this should be possible using the RuleKey.MANUAL_REPOSITORY_KEY repository. :-)

Ann

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Michel Pawlak <michel...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Michel Pawlak

Sep 1, 2015, 12:45:42 PM9/1/15
to SonarQube, michel...@gmail.com
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your feedback and the addition to the community plugins page :-)

Concerning the ability to add WTFs as manual issues, well the plugin is meant to help developers report code smell while they work on the code in their IDE. This is most probably when they'll encounter code smells. I only focused on this use case so far. It is different from the one where people are using SQ to run / plan a code review (in which case using manual issues seems to be the way to go)

I may try to extend the plugin to be able to handle manual issues directly reported in SQ, however the problem is that I'm not sure how to set up such a manual issue (manual measures don't do the job) nor the type of WTFs or the debt in such a context. If it is doable, it's definitively a feature I may add in a future release. Speaking about future features, I was thinking of supporting other languages (via formatted comments for instance) at least for javascript or letting people add extensions to support the langage they use.

By the way, you added the plugin to the list of community plugins (thanks again) but is it also possible to add it to the update center ? (and if yes under what conditions, and what should I do or provide ?)

Kind regards,

Michel
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sonarqube+...@googlegroups.com.

G. Ann Campbell

Sep 1, 2015, 12:52:18 PM9/1/15
to SonarQube
Hi Michel,

+1 to supporting other languages! I think C# has something like annotations, but I don't know whether you can write your own.

Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

G. Ann Campbell

Sep 3, 2015, 2:34:10 PM9/3/15
to SonarQube

Michel Pawlak

Sep 3, 2015, 4:34:46 PM9/3/15
to SonarQube
Hi Ann,

Thanks for the addition. I already fixed reported issues as well as the name. The rest will follow.

Michel