[VOTE] SVG Status plugin 1.1.0-RC1

Michel Pawlak

Feb 27, 2016, 2:37:04 PM2/27/16
to SonarQube
Hi all,

I would like to release version 1.1.0 of the SVG Status plugin for SonarQube and I'm asking for your feedback about version 1.1.0-RC1.

As a short reminder, the purpose of this plugin is to allow you to add an image on any website that displays the quality gate status of a project analysed on your SonarQube instance.

Tests I'm requesting :
  • Install the plugin (see link below) then start SQ
  • Set sonar.core.serverBaseURL property correctly in SonarQube general settings
  • Check if the plugin behaves correctly if you try to retrieve an image for (see link to documentation below):
    • a project for which no quality gate is defined -> should display this image
    • a project that passes its quality gate -> should display this image
    • a project that does not pass a quality gate due to warnings -> should display this image
    • a project that does not pass a quality gate due to errors -> should display this image
    • a non existing project -> should display this image
  • Reanalyse the projects in order to change the gate status of your project and recheck that the images are ok
  • Any other test that may be useful
Release Notes:

  • Prepare plugin for addition to SonarQube's update center (see this thread, this vote-for-release step is required in order to have the plugin accepted in update center)
  • Improve installation documentation
  • Add logs if incomplete configuration is detected

Requirements:

  • SonarQube 4.5.4+

Tested on MacOS X 10.11.3 with "out of the box" installation of:

  • SonarQube 4.5.4
  • SonarQube 5.1.2
  • SonarQube 5.2
  • SonarQube 5.3

Link to release notes: release notes 1.1.0
Link to plugin binaries to be tested: qualinsight-sonarqube-status-1.1.0-RC1.jar
Link to project page and documentation: SVG Status Plugin for SonarQube on GitHub
Link to project on Nemo: qualinsight-plugins-sonarqube-status

Vote is open for 72 hours (if everything's ok, I'll release the plugin on 1st March)

[ ] +1 (no issue encountered that make the plugin unusable)
[ ] -1 (please indicate the issues you're encountering and briefly explain why you consider that they should block the release)

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback !

Cheers,

Michel

G. Ann Campbell

Feb 29, 2016, 2:34:57 PM2/29/16
to SonarQube
Hi Michel,

I have some feedback. First, the docs say this:

In order to use this plugin, you need to install it, then set SonarQube's sonar.core.serverBaseURL property to the URL of your SonarQube's server instance.

This configuration step is mandatory. If the sonar.core.serverBaseURL property is not set, an exception will be thrown and be logged in SONAR_HOME/logs/sonar.log file.

Because there's a default value for that property, it's not possible for it to not be set. So... That part doesn't make sense to me.

If you're using the default value for the property (i.e.http://localhost:9000/), a warning message will be logged instead.

This warning is printed to the logs each time an image is served, which seems a bit like spam to me. As opposed, that is, to logging a message once at startup and not again. Granted, it would be a very odd configuration that would put this into production, but...

Regarding the tests you've requested:
  • a project for which no quality gate is defined -> should display this image
I had to unset-the default QG to get this, but yes, this worked. And good thinking to cover this corner case. :)
  • a project that passes its quality gate -> should display this image
Yup
  • a project that does not pass a quality gate due to warnings -> should display this image
Yup
  • a project that does not pass a quality gate due to errors -> should display this image
Yup
  • a non existing project -> should display this image
Yup

  • Any other test that may be useful
I get the "Server Error" image for a project that has been provisioned but not yet analyzed. If you feel like gold-plating and it's easy to tell the difference, a distinct image for this case might be nice.

This looks good to release to me.

:-)
Ann

michel...@gmail.com

Feb 29, 2016, 6:32:59 PM2/29/16
to G. Ann Campbell, SonarQube
Thank you for your feedback Ann.

I'll fix the documentation and I'll add a single warning message during startup if the default property value is not overridden before releasing the final version. I'll also keep current logs but for debug log level.

Concerning provisioned but not yet analyzed projects, I'll check if there is an easy way to detect them. If not, I'll keep this good idea for a future version.

Kind regards,

Michel

David Racodon

Mar 1, 2016, 12:20:34 PM3/1/16
to Michel Pawlak, G. Ann Campbell, SonarQube
+1, works fine on SonarQube 5.4 RC
Thanks a lot Michel!

David RACODON
Freelance QA Consultant

Michel Pawlak

Mar 1, 2016, 2:12:54 PM3/1/16
to SonarQube, michel...@gmail.com, ann.ca...@sonarsource.com
Thank you David for your feedback.

I've fixed the code accordingly to @Ann suggestions. Concerning the case of provisioned but not yet analysed projects, I've created an issue (#11) as checking this implies changes in JSON parsing and I don't want to do it in a hurry today.

So... the vote passes with 2 votes +1 and 0 -1. Thanks to both of you.

I'll proceed with the release.

Michel