New SonarQube plugin: Sedcat

alanj...@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2016, 1:41:23 PM10/22/16
to SonarQube
Hello,

I woud like to announce the first release of Sedcat Plugin for SonarQube.

Its purpose is simple: provide new metrics about quality of unit testing. This metrics are:
  • Quality of Unit tests: quality percentage obtained through xfuzzy expert systems using project metrics concerning unit tests as input parameters, such as:
    • Unit Test Success.
    • Unit Test Coverage.
    • Unit Test Mutations Coverage (calculated with Pitest Mutation Tool).
    • Number of Unit Test.
    • Total Lines of Code.
    • Complexity Average Class.
  • Actions to improve: recommended actions to increase the percentage of unit test quality. This actions specifies which input parameters should be improved and in what order of relevance.

This plugin automates decisions that would take an expert in the field of unit testing to improve the quality of them. Thus the developer user does not have to constantly decide which parameters should fix.

Here is the project's webpage: https://github.com/alansastre/sedcat-plugin

I would like to request inclusion of this plugin in Update Center.

Comments, and feedback would be appreciated

Regards,

Alan

Simona Avornicesei

Oct 23, 2016, 3:34:02 AM10/23/16
to SonarQube
Hi,

Here are the rules for adding a new plugin to Update Center: http://docs.sonarqube.org/display/DEV/Deploying+to+Update+Center

At the first glance it doesn't respect the "Documentation is available online" - there's only README.md and it's in spanish (along with the commit messages).

From a SQ user perspective - how is your plugin different that what SQ already provides on unit testing part?

G. Ann Campbell

Oct 24, 2016, 9:14:08 AM10/24/16
to SonarQube
Hi,

I have to echo Simona here and ask that you publish an English version of the documentation. I've just updated the docs to make it clear that English is required. But from practical standpoint, I'm the one that tests new plugins before they go into the Update Center, and I don't read (or speak) Spanish.

Ann

alanj...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2016, 4:48:58 PM10/25/16
to SonarQube

G. Ann Campbell

Oct 28, 2016, 2:22:52 PM10/28/16
to SonarQube
Hi,

I just want to let you know that I'm not ignoring you. I'll come back to you as soon as I can.

Ann

G. Ann Campbell

Nov 9, 2016, 4:10:54 PM11/9/16
to SonarQube
Hi,

Sorry for the long delay on this.

I finally downloaded it for testing. The good news is that it seemed to run fine: no errors in either the server or the analysis log.

The bad new is that this is what I saw when I looked at the metrics the plugin adds:

If your argument is that the widgets you created show everything perfectly, then I have to inform you that project-level dashboards were removed in 6.1, and global dashboards go away in 6.2. In short, there's no where to display your widgets.

Also:
* Metric values should not be sentences; numbers (or single letters) instead
* Text should be (by default) in English.
* There's nothing to drill down to.

Clearly, you've computed project-level metrics, but is there anything you can compute at a lower level? Maybe attach some lower-level metrics to test files?

Also, I understand that your default is for your native language, but SonarQube defaults to English. If you'd like to contribute a Spanish localization plugin, I'll be glad to have that discussion with you, but short of that, the plugin needs to be in English to be in the UC. :-)

Ann