[VOTE] Release SonarQube Eclipse 3.5.0

Julien HENRY

Jul 30, 2015, 8:24:15 AM7/30/15
to SonarQube
Hi guys,

I would like to release SonarQube Eclipse 3.5.0. This release is a big effort to reduce all opens ticket (bugs and features) before more important changes that will come soon.

Main changes:
  - there is a main feature that allows to use SonarQube on any Eclipse project with basic configuration
  - there are few other optional features named "configurators" that will provide better default configuration for well known languages. Example: Java configurator integrates with JDT to provide sonar.java.libraries property. I'll update documentation for details.
  - you can configure globally the pattern used to distinguish test vs main source folders (you may know that Eclipse doesn't make such a distinction)
  - refactoring of server management: servers are now identified by a key. It means you can update the server URL without having to update all project association. We should also better detect that a server is offline and avoid to display annoying popups
  - web views (issue details and open in SonarQube) were removed since the recent SQ server UI was not well integrated into Eclipse. We'll see in next release how to reintroduce this feature (probably a native Eclipse UI).

Full changelog:

Documentation:

Update site for testing:

Feel free to provide feedback, and vote is open to everybody for 72H:
+1
+0
-1

Regards,

Julien

David Racodon

Jul 30, 2015, 8:50:04 AM7/30/15
to SonarQube, julien...@sonarsource.com
We'd like to use it and provide feedback but it looks like http://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARCLIPS-438 has been postponed again...

Julien HENRY

Jul 30, 2015, 9:32:29 AM7/30/15
to David Racodon, SonarQube
Hi David,

Unfortunately this is not something that could be fixed on SonarQube Eclipse side only (branch information is lost on server side).

But with this new version you are more in control of analysis properties. You can override nearly all "pre defined" properties using <your project> -> Properties -> SonarQube -> Preview Analysis Properties.

So you can try the following:
  - associate your Eclipse project to the remote project. It will result in having sonar.projectKey=<key>:<branch>
  - add manually two SQ properties on the project: sonar.projectKey=<key> && sonar.branch=<branch>

This is a kind of a hack but I don't see any better option for now.

++

Julien
Message has been deleted

Alix Lourme

Jul 30, 2015, 12:57:26 PM7/30/15
to SonarQube, julien...@sonarsource.com
+1

For SONARCLIPS-428 "server configuration using pluginCustomization" (works perflectly, thanks) ; just think to not use space for 'id' definition).

Julien HENRY

Jul 30, 2015, 1:15:24 PM7/30/15
to Alix Lourme, SonarQube

In this case (SonarQube server requires credentials), a user/password prompt or popup displaying the unauthorized server id could be an improvment for the future ?

I have created http://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARCLIPS-456

Michel Pawlak

Jul 30, 2015, 3:30:40 PM7/30/15
to SonarQube, julien...@sonarsource.com
+1 nice job

One (out of topic) question : SQ's server credential was getting corrupted from time to time with previous version of the plugin. This forces users to delete their secure storage in Eclipse (which causes the loss of all credentials) this only appears with the SQ plugin for eclipse. Am I the only one to face this issue ?

Cheers,

Michel

Alix Lourme

Jul 30, 2015, 3:46:49 PM7/30/15
to SonarQube, julien...@sonarsource.com, michel...@gmail.com

One (out of topic) question : SQ's server credential was getting corrupted from time to time with previous version of the plugin. This forces users to delete their secure storage in Eclipse (which causes the loss of all credentials) this only appears with the SQ plugin for eclipse. Am I the only one to face this issue ?

No feedback about this with Eclipse Kepler SR2 deployed on many users.

Julien HENRY

Jul 31, 2015, 2:44:43 AM7/31/15
to Michel Pawlak, SonarQube
One (out of topic) question : SQ's server credential was getting corrupted from time to time with previous version of the plugin. This forces users to delete their secure storage in Eclipse (which causes the loss of all credentials) this only appears with the SQ plugin for eclipse. Am I the only one to face this issue ?

I never heard of such issue. What is you Eclipse version?

Michel Pawlak

Jul 31, 2015, 6:51:06 AM7/31/15
to SonarQube, michel...@gmail.com, julien...@sonarsource.com

Version: Luna Release (4.4.0)
Build id: 20140612-0600

We have the issue from time to time. To be honest I have no clue if it is related to the plugin, to Luna, to other plugins, or even to password change (some people reported the issue on the day their windows password changed, after having tried to run an analysis from eclipse). What I'm sure is that SQ eclipse plugin stops being able to connect to SQ server and that it is not possible to save a new password without deleting the secure storage then.

Kind regards,

Michel

Julien HENRY

Aug 4, 2015, 3:06:09 AM8/4/15
to SonarQube
The vote has passed with no -1. Thanks for testing. I'll continue with the release.

++

Julien

David Racodon

Aug 31, 2015, 12:27:33 PM8/31/15
to Julien HENRY, SonarQube
Hi Julien,

I made it work. Thanks for the workaround.

Regards,

David RACODON
Freelance QA Consultant

Julien HENRY

Sep 2, 2015, 4:20:41 AM9/2/15
to SonarQube, julien...@sonarsource.com
Cool, thanks for the feedback David!

fent...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2015, 8:29:53 AM9/3/15
to SonarQube
Hey,
we've been very happy with the platform in general and I have implemented it at another place based on our success.

One thing I noticed though, is that issues marked as "false positive" on the server are showing up in the client as issues still, instead of being suppressed. This makes it a bit tough for pre-commit analysis as we get more and more false positives, because analysts will take time to work on issues that have already been marked as false positives.

There was a previous jira and this was fixed in https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/SONARCLIPS-281 but it appears to be back in 3.5 and in 3.4

I have tested this out in a couple of projects, with both plugins in mars, just version 3.4 of the plugin in juno and luna. Haven't tried kepler.

We are using sonar qube 5.1.2 with a fairly recent version (I think the previous to the current release) of the java plugin.

I can provide details about the particular rules if that might be the issue. We're using pmd, findbugs, checkstyle and the sonarjava rules.

Julien HENRY

Sep 3, 2015, 8:40:33 AM9/3/15
to SonarQube, fent...@gmail.com
Hi,

Could you please open a new thread and provide logs of the analysis in Eclipse. Are you using branches (sonar.branch) in your project?

Thanks

Julien

fent...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2015, 9:14:49 AM9/3/15
to SonarQube, fent...@gmail.com
Will do Julien (the new thread). I'm under NDA about the revealing the code, so I may have to replicate it at home with a phony test project.

BTW, the whole suite is awesome, and definitely a +1 from the 20 or so developers I represent that are using the tool heavily. I was nice to see an update since it hadn't had any love in so long. In particular we have some weaker developers that benefit a great deal from the static analysis nudges.