What are the plans with sonar.analysis.mode ?

Balázs Hosszu

Aug 28, 2017, 5:56:51 AM8/28/17
to SonarQube
Hey all,

This property is only partially documented, and it's fucntionality is mostly moved to other tools. Is it still officially supported in latest SonarServer? Are there pőlans to deprecate the preview mode trough this property?

Issues
This mode is indicated to exist but not documented besides : " is a "preview" equivalent intended for use by tools. You should never need to use it manually."
How does it really differ?

Preview
SonarLint Cli and review tool plugins are taking the place of the preview functionality. Is the server side mode here to stay, or do you plan to remove it completely?
The relevant issue reporter plugin has already been deprecated.

Thanks and cheers,
Balázs

Fabrice Bellingard

Aug 28, 2017, 10:06:21 AM8/28/17
to Balázs Hosszu, SonarQube
Hi Balazs,

We indeed plan to replace those modes by built-in features to meet the needs that they were created for (mainly analysing a feature branch or a P/R and be able to report problems on it before the code is merged). So you should not try to build something on top of it.

May I ask you: what is the use case you want to address, for which you'd need those modes?

Best regards,
Fabrice Bellingard | SonarSource
SonarQube & SonarCloud Product Manager
http://sonarsource.com

Balázs Hosszu

Aug 28, 2017, 10:31:18 AM8/28/17
to SonarQube, hbal...@gmail.com
Hi Fabrice,

Partly it just picked me interest in general of what direction are you heading. Preview mode is still available, but the reporting plugin not. On the other hand SonarLint Cli is available, but not presented on the main page of http://www.sonarlint.org/. Overall it is a bit unclear which is your focus for the near future.
Partly the question relates to a P/R analysis, like described here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/sonarqube/fodF3FZAHQY

Cheers,
Balázs