Updating Rules without restarting server

halba...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2018, 9:08:56 AM3/23/18
to SonarQube
Hi

I'm working on a plugin for PowerShell to analyze code using the ScriptAnalyzer module. I've generated an xml file with the rules provided by ScriptAnalyzer and included those as part of my plugin and they appear correctly in SonarQube.

The problem comes when I try to import custom rules that are passed to ScriptAnalyzer. I can generate the xml file with the rules in, check for their existence in SonarQube and then update my source xml file with the new rules however I can't then update the SonarQube repository without restarting the server.

I've done some searching online and found this StackOverflow post asking the same question a number of years ago and I'm wondering if anything has progressed in this area. I can't see any mention of it on this group or JIRA (though my jira search skills aren't great) so I'm guessing not.

Is it still not possible? Are there any workarounds to this? Is the only way to create a new rule to do so from within the plugin at startup or can I do something with the API?

Thanks

G. Ann Campbell

Mar 23, 2018, 11:17:51 AM3/23/18
to SonarQube
Hi,

No, this is still not possible. On the other hand, we are planning some work to allow you to import essentially random issues: https://jira.sonarsource.com/browse/MMF-1212.

Ann

halba...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2018, 11:31:34 AM3/23/18
to SonarQube
That looks like it would do almost exactly what I want. I'll keep an eye on that and hopefully see it in the not too distant future.