[RFF] SVG Badges plugin 2.0.0-RC1

Michel Pawlak

May 4, 2016, 5:17:37 PM5/4/16
to SonarQube
Hi all,

I would like to release version 2.0.0 of the SVG Badges plugin soon. Please have a look at the just released 2.0.0-RC1 version and send me your feedback.

Release Notes:
  • Minimum version of SonarQube required to run the plugin is now 5.5
  • The plugin does not communicate with SQ through HTTP anymore, it uses a local WS connector instead
  • New measure badges web service that generate badges based on projects' measures
  • Ability to turn off quality gate badges generation (default on) and measure badges generation (default off)
  • Now SVG font-family is based on the list of fonts which are available server-side
Please read carefully the plugin's documentation. It contains information about configuration, usage, and performance.

Link to release notes: release notes 2.0.0-RC1
Link to plugin binaries to be tested: qualinsight-sonarqube-badges-2.0.0-RC1.jar
Link to project page and documentation: SVG Badges Plugin for SonarQube on GitHub
Link to project on Nemo: qualinsight-plugins-sonarqube-badges

Vote is open for 48 hours.

[ ] +1 (no issue encountered that make the plugin unusable)
[ ] -1 (please indicate the issues you're encountering and briefly explain why you consider that they should block the release)

Thanks a lot in advance for your feedback !

G. Ann Campbell

May 5, 2016, 4:36:25 PM5/5/16
to SonarQube
Hi Michel,

Okay, I've tried this with both 5.5-RC1 and 5.5 (GA). With RC1 I got NoSuchMethodErrors on both services.

With the GA I got the quality gate badge, but nothing - and I mean nothing - for the measure service. I even resorted to tailing access.log to make sure the call was reaching the server; my browser doesn't even blink when I try to load http://localhost:9000/api/badges/measure?key=com.sonarsource.rule-api%3Arule-api&metric=code_smells. And yes, that metric should be non-empty; my project home page shows 42.

Ann

Michel Pawlak

May 5, 2016, 6:14:27 PM5/5/16
to SonarQube
Hi Ann,

Concerning the problem you're facing with RC1, the API changed with RC2 that's why you get this error and that's why the release note states that minimum version is 5.5 (release)

Concerning the fact that you have no answer from the measure badges web service, that's the expected behaviour if you haven't enabled the web service (the release note states "default off") If you want to try the measures web service you need to activate it in the settings (t's explained in the documentation). As written in the settings "this type of badges can be resource consuming and scalability hasn't been tested yet" that's why it's disabled by default.

Turn it on and it should work (at least it works on my local instance, see attached file):

Michel
measure.svg

G. Ann Campbell

May 6, 2016, 9:21:45 AM5/6/16
to Michel Pawlak, SonarQube
Gah! I very carefully turned it on in the first server, then forgot on the second one. :-(

Now, with the service on, I see badges as expected.

It might be useful, however, to put something in the server log if either service is invoked without activation (assuming that's possible on your end).

Also, I set my quality gate to fail on bugs > 0, but the bugs badge I get back is grey whether or not the bugs measure is causing me to fail the quality gate. I recognize that this is not first-version functionality, so I guess I'm making a feature request. :-)

Ann

---
G. Ann CAMPBELL | SonarSource
Product Owner

Michel Pawlak

May 6, 2016, 9:37:58 AM5/6/16
to SonarQube, michel...@gmail.com
Hi Ann,

Thanks for your feedback and happy to hear that the plugin is working :-)

I can add server side logs if people try to use the non-running WS, but don't want to flood server logs. If SonarQube's logs configuration was using Logback's DuplicateMessageFilter (which would prevent being flooded with the same message again and again) it would be great, but currently as far as I know it is not the case. By the way it would be great if SQ was using this filter by default.

Concerning measure badges colors, they are indeed currently always grey. I was thinking about colorising the badge if the measure is part of a quality gate, but it won't be ready for this version (I have to think about how I can cache efficiently generated badges, and how to retrieve the information I need to colorise correctly the badge.) Feel free to create a feature request on GH !

Kind regards,

Michel

Michel Pawlak

May 10, 2016, 6:47:34 PM5/10/16
to SonarQube, michel...@gmail.com
Hi,

I added the logs as requested. I'm currently releasing the plugin and it will be out soon.

Michel