Specifying SCM URL for SCM sensor

Björn Kautler

Jul 3, 2015, 5:02:57 PM7/3/15
to sona...@googlegroups.com
In the old SCM Activity plugin you were able to specify the URL for the SCM provider explicitly.
Now with the SQ integrated SCM functionality this is not possible anymore.
As we bought a TeamCity license (buildserver from JetBrains) and are not restricted anymore by amount of build configurations I wanted to move your SQ analysis from the SQ server machine to be run by TeamCity.

The problem is, that we use server-side checkout on TeamCity. This means, that the TeamCity server checks out the sources and transfers the sources incrementally to the build agents.
This reduces load on the VCS server (Subversion), improves build times and reduces network load.
But this also means, that the working directory is not a VCS working copy, but just a bunch of files.

With the old SCM Activity plugin, this was no problem, as the SCM URL was configurable, so everything would have worked fine.
With the current behaviour, the SQ analysis fails with "The svn blame command [svn blame --xml --non-interactive -x -w src/main/java/path/to/File.java] failed: svn: 'src/main/java/path/to' is not a working copy".
Are there plans to support this use-case again and if not, is it feasible to consider this as feature request?

I'd prefer not to change to client-side checkout, just because of the SQ analysis, but I also don't want to miss the information that is gathered from VCS by SQ analysis.

Julien HENRY

Jul 15, 2015, 5:28:01 AM7/15/15
to sona...@googlegroups.com, bjo...@kautler.net
Are you sure it was working with old SVN Activity plugin? AFAIK the UTL was not used for the blame command. It was just executing svn blame --xml <filename>. So if you are not in a WC I think it can't work.

Configuring the URL would not be enough to allow "remote" blame. We would also need the root of the WC to compute proper remote file URL. I think this is too much configuration for this uncommon use case. Why don't you configure TeamCity to also copy the root .svn folder?

++

Julien