Checkstyle : Whitespace rules replacement in squid?

Laurent Tourreau

May 10, 2016, 6:03:36 AM5/10/16
to SonarQube
Hi guys

I see whitespace related rules are considered as "rejected":
  • NoWhitespaceAfter
  • NoWhitespaceBefore
  • WhitespaceAround
However there are implemented in Checkstyle plugin :
  • checkstyle:com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.checks.whitespace.NoWhitespaceAfterCheck
  • checkstyle:com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.checks.whitespace.NoWhitespaceBeforeCheck
  • checkstyle:com.puppycrawl.tools.checkstyle.checks.whitespace.WhitespaceAroundCheck
I have two questions:
1/ By considered them as "rejected" does it mean you deliberately don't want to implement a squid replacement?
2/ If a squid replacement will be possible, when do you think it will be implemented on Java Plugin?

Thanks for your answers.

Regards

Laurent TOURREAU

Michael Gumowski

May 10, 2016, 7:55:31 AM5/10/16
to Laurent Tourreau, SonarQube
Hello Laurent,

That's exactly the meaning of 'rejected'. These rules won't be implemented by any squid replacement. So, no replacement planned.
We implemented some formatting related rules in the past, but we now try to focus our effort on bug-related rules, providing more value for end users than formatting issues.

Cheers,

Michael GUMOWSKI | SonarSource
Software Developer @ Language Team
http://sonarsource.com

Laurent Tourreau

May 10, 2016, 8:09:20 AM5/10/16
to SonarQube
Thanks Michael for this clear explanation.

This also means we won't be able to follow those rules in SonarLint (contrary to the previous SonarQube plugin), since it checks only squid rules.

Regards

Laurent TOURREAU