[Feature Idea]: Support Multiple Layers or Test Coverage

Leo Hart

Nov 17, 2015, 3:00:30 PM11/17/15
to SonarQube
This references a topic I did post at Stack Overflow, but after 20 days hasn't received any response.  I'm guessing it's because it's a feature request and that sort of posting belongs here per your instructions above.

Sonar supports the ability to separately report on unit vs integration tests, which is great: http://www.sonarqube.org/measure-coverage-by-integration-tests-with-sonar-updated/

That said, we'd actually like to look at coverage from a number of different angles in order to make various investment decisions.

For instance, we currently have a number of testing technologies in place, many of which have been deemed "legacy". It would be great to be able to look at a treemap of my product (perhaps sized by complexity or "rate of code churn") and see an overlay of which testing technologies are covering what areas:

  • Selenium
  • Telerik
  • RSPEC
  • Eggplant
  • Etc

We're also building out a staged DevOps Continuous Delivery pipeline with multiple layers of testing. For example:

  • Post-Commit (Ensure your commit doesn't blow up the rest of the development team, very fast)
  • Confidence (A deeper set of tests to cover all of the major test cases, slightly slower than Post-Commit, but still fairly fast)
  • Full Regression (All the tests in our arsenal - very slow, but deep)

Similar to the case of testing technologies, it would be great to be able to overlay these layers onto a treemap to show how each stage is covering the product to make tradeoff decisions.

Has anyone able to do this using existing SonarQube plugins and techniques?  Could SonarQube introduce an enhancement to support this?

One way that comes to mind is to expand the sonar.jacoco.itReportPath concept and instead allow multiple named coverage reports to be specified:

  • sonar.jacoco.reportPaths { "postCommit"="___", "confidence="___", "regression="___" }
Thanks!

Julien HENRY

Nov 18, 2015, 5:05:03 AM11/18/15
to SonarQube
Hi Leo,

These 2 ideas were already discussed several times (having more than 2 tests categories and the ability to run analysis with more than one quality profile). Maybe there are already some open tickets for that in JIRA but to be honest it is not high priority since it would require a lot of work while being used only by very advanced users regarding code quality (many people are still not writing tests :)).

++

Julien

tulasi singnamoni

Apr 27, 2016, 9:29:29 AM4/27/16
to SonarQube
Can we have Code coverage using HP UFT Tests executions...