Re: IntelliJ plugins for SonarQube

George Shakhnazaryan

Jan 8, 2014, 10:48:22 PM1/8/14
to Alexander Heusingfeld, David Racodon, sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com
Can't find an easy way to remove the old plugin from the JetBrains repository, but I updated the usage instructions on http://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/7168 to indicate it's no longer maintained.

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM, Alexander Heusingfeld <al...@goldstift.de> wrote:
Hi David,

thanks for your mail. I hope you don’t mind that I post my reply to the plugin mailinglist so all the people interested in the sonarqube plugin can read along. Thanks for your kind understanding.

Regarding your questions:
We decided to merge forces with the other sonarqube plugin dev team a few month ago and started [1]. Our old plugins at [2] and  [3] are not being developed further anymore which is stated in the repository’s Readme.md.

Removing the old plugin from the IntelliJ plugin repository is definitely a good idea IMHO!

Your question whether we’d like to contribute is kind of confusing to me. Actually we asked Freddy and Julien whether SonarSource would like to join our efforts but Julien rejected stating SonarSource “decided to work in a way that is not very suited for a real community-driven approach” [4]. What has changed since then?

Our strongest goal is still to support as many derivates of IntelliJ as possible and mostly all the programming languages which are supported by the SonarQube server. We noticed that SonarSource is primarily focussing on IntelliJ IDEA and Java+Maven projects. Has this changed or is our perception plain wrong?

Once again thanks for your offer and your kind words. As we stated in [5] we’d really love to join forces to bring the best of SonarQube to as many developers out there as possible.

Best regards
Alex

On 08 Jan 2014, at 16:23, David Racodon <david....@sonarsource.com> wrote:

Hi guys,

As you may already know, we, at SonarSource, started working on an IntelliJ plugin: https://github.com/SonarSource/sonar-intellij
As far as I understand, there's already two IntelliJ plugins for SonarQube. Only one is still alive: https://github.com/sonar-intellij-plugin/sonar-intellij-plugin as there was a merge between the two. Correct? In a few words what is the status of your IntelliJ plugin?

To minimize the confusion for the SonarQube users, would it be possible to remove the dead plugin from the IntelliJ plugin repository?
Would freezing the development of your plugin and bringing your ideas and contributing to the "SonarSource" plugin be an option for you?

Thank you very much

Regards,

David RACODON | SonarSource
Senior Consultant

  Sign up to our newsletter here!

Alexander Heusingfeld

Jan 8, 2014, 12:58:24 PM1/8/14
to David Racodon, George Shakhnazaryan, sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com

Oleg Mayevskiy

Jan 9, 2014, 4:51:31 AM1/9/14
to david....@sonarsource.com, sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com, gsh...@gmail.com
Hi David,

I would definitly like to join our efforts and have one single plugin supported by SonarSource at the end, if it's possible.
But as Alex already said, the fact that SonarSource focuses on java+maven only is one of the blocker for a corporation.

Best, Oleg.

On 08.01.2014 18:58, Alexander Heusingfeld wrote:
[...]

Oleg Mayevskiy

Jan 10, 2014, 11:52:06 AM1/10/14
to David Racodon, sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com, George Shakhnazaryan, Alexander Heusingfeld
Sounds very positive,

Have a nice weekend as well!

Oleg Majewski.

On 10.01.2014 17:34, David Racodon wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your quick replies and interest.

I hope you don�t mind that I post my reply to the plugin mailinglist so all the people interested in the sonarqube plugin can read along. Thanks for your kind understanding.

It's even better.

�

We decided to merge forces with the other sonarqube plugin dev team a few month ago and started [1]. Our old plugins at [2] and �[3] are not being developed further anymore which is stated in the repository�s Readme.md.

OK
�

Removing the old plugin from the IntelliJ plugin repository is definitely a good idea IMHO!

Cool!
@George: Could you please write an email to�plugins-admin@jetbrains.com to ask for the removal of this plugin?

Our strongest goal is still to support as many derivates of IntelliJ as possible and mostly all the programming languages which are supported by the SonarQube server.

We share the very same goal.�

As we stated in [5] we�d really love to join forces to bring the best of SonarQube to as many developers out there as possible.

We also share this goal.�

I would definitly like to join our efforts and have one single plugin supported by SonarSource at the end, if it's possible.

Great!�

We noticed that SonarSource is primarily focussing on IntelliJ IDEA and Java+Maven projects. Has this changed or is our perception plain wrong?

We're just going step by step. The first beta version only supported Java Maven projects. The one that will be released next week will support any kind of Java project. And as we started to do with the Eclipse plugin, we'll eventually add support for other languages.�

Your question whether we�d like to contribute is kind of confusing to me. Actually we asked Freddy and Julien whether SonarSource would like to join our efforts but Julien rejected stating SonarSource �decided to work in a way that is not very suited for a real community-driven approach� [4]. What has changed since then?

I wanted to know if you were still ready to contribute in some way. I've got a very positive answer!
There are many different ways to contribute. For your information, we will discuss this matter next week internally at SonarSource. I'll come back to you right after to tell you how we imagine your contributions and we can then discuss it together.

Good with you?

Have a nice weekend!

David RACODON |�SonarSource
Senior Consultant

� Sign up to our newsletter�here!

Alexander Heusingfeld

Jan 10, 2014, 12:49:51 PM1/10/14
to sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com

Begin forwarded message:

From: David Racodon
Subject: Re: IntelliJ plugins for SonarQube
Date: 10 Jan 2014 17:34:05 GMT+1

Hi guys,

[...]

We share the very same goal.

As we stated in [5] we’d really love to join forces to bring the best of SonarQube to as many developers out there as possible.

We also share this goal.

I would definitly like to join our efforts and have one single plugin supported by SonarSource at the end, if it's possible.

Great!

[...]

George Shakhnazaryan

Jan 11, 2014, 12:27:58 PM1/11/14
to David Racodon, sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com, Oleg Mayevskiy, Alexander Heusingfeld
> @George: Could you please write an email to plugins-admin@jetbrains.com to ask for the removal of this plugin?

Just sent them an email.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Oleg Mayevskiy <omaye...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

David Racodon

Jan 15, 2014, 5:29:01 AM1/15/14
to sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com, Oleg Mayevskiy, Alexander Heusingfeld, George Shakhnazaryan
Hi guys,

We had an internal discussion at SonarSource this morning.
The conclusion is that we'd be glad to work with you on this plugin.
The question then: How do we work together?

From our experience on other plugins, having several developers working on the same plugin is always a big mess. It is impossible to stay in sync and aligned. Therefore, we'll keep the lead on the development. Aside from that, we'd be happy if you contribute by:
  • Testing the plugin
  • Giving your feedback on the existing features and propose some improvements
  • Providing patches to fix bugs and improvements on existing features
  • Discussing the roadmap on the developer list
What are your thoughts?

Thank you

Regards,

David RACODON | SonarSource
Senior Consultant

  Sign up to our newsletter here!

David Racodon

Jan 24, 2014, 9:16:50 AM1/24/14
to sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com
Alexander, George,

Any feedback on your side?

Thank you

Regards,

David RACODON | SonarSource
Senior Consultant

  Sign up to our newsletter here!

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 8:47 PM, Oleg Mayevskiy <omaye...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello David,

Am 15.01.2014 11:29, schrieb David Racodon:
Hi guys,

We had an internal discussion at SonarSource this morning.
The conclusion is that we'd be glad to work with you on this plugin.
Great, I am very happy about this to be honest. It wasn't the case one month ago.

The question then: How do we work together?

From our experience on other plugins, having several developers working on the same plugin is always a big mess. It is impossible to stay in sync and aligned.
In other words you want to say you are not able to manage developer teams?

Therefore, we'll keep the lead on the development. Aside from that, we'd be happy if you contribute by:
  • Testing the plugin
  • Giving your feedback on the existing features and propose some improvements
  • Providing patches to fix bugs and improvements on existing features
  • Discussing the roadmap on the developer list
In general this sounds usefull,
but
we already tried proactivelly giving feedback few days after we realised that you reactivated work on intellij plugin. In general we are really happy about that!
The problem is, that what I think is the best, and what you implement is too different. Lets look again on comment from Julien:

As an example, support of languages other than Java is not our priority for this first sprint. This is already a point were we may have to debate as your personal need is the support of groovy.

This one is enough for me to loose any interest for the plugin which can support java only! My daily business at work is at least about java, groovy, scala and js, not to say bash and ruby. What the point to spent time on something which helps me at the end only partial with a knowledge that it can be done differently? I have a vision about how my sonar workflow should look like, but this is very different from what I see in current implementation and because the plugins grows, it will be harder and harder to introduce multi language support, if it's not planed from beginning on. You currently also just do not realise, that your plugin does run in Intellij IDEA only, but not in PHPStorm for example. But if you in detail just ignore important points and go your own way, what is the reason to give feedback?

What are your thoughts?
This are my current thoughts, I still would give you feedback, tell about how we work, what we expect from sonar IDE plugin, share knowledge about Intellij plugin development and so on. It would be great if you establish a direct contact by talking in skype or any other chat you prefer. If you prefer a video call, we can do it as well.

Thank you

Regards,

BR, Oleg.

George Shakhnazaryan

Jan 24, 2014, 9:23:23 AM1/24/14
to David Racodon, sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I haven't been contributing to the plugin in a very long time. I had an itch at one point that needed scratching and I scratched it, but I haven't used the plugin or sonar recently.

I look forward to whatever gets developed though.

Thanks,
George

Sent from my iPhone

Alexander Heusingfeld

Jan 26, 2014, 11:17:09 AM1/26/14
to David Racodon, sonarqube-in...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

sorry for the belated response. Please let me directly comment on your statements.

> From our experience on other plugins, having several developers working on the same plugin is always a big mess. It is impossible to stay in sync and aligned.

I do certainly have to object on this point. From my experience it is a difference if one or multiple developers are working on the same codebase but your statement could be perceived as “developing software in a team doesn’t work”. But I think that’s not what you wanted to state.

From my experience it takes a little more effort in terms of communication but I seriously regard this as a positive side effect for an open-source project. Also modern source code management systems like git make collaboration a lot easier through good merge and rebase functionality. Therefore the question is more

> Therefore, we'll keep the lead on the development. Aside from that, we'd be happy if you contribute (…)

Could you make it a little clearer where the difference is in your “new offer” compared to what Julien posted back in November [1]. To me it basically seems to be the same result and I’m personally a bit disappointed by that.

On the other hand I certainly agree with Oleg that looking at the code, your implementation is currently heading in a direction where - from our point of view - it will take a larger effort to make it usable by
a) other languages than Java + Maven
b) other derivates of IntelliJ like WebStorm or PyCharm
though our codebase is already there.

Concluding all this I’d say it is up to you whether you want to invest the time to communicate e.g. your sprint plan clearly beforehand so other contributors can align (and know about things like “code freezes”) or whether you’re actually just searching for beta testers of a plugin that is developed "behind closed doors" at SonarSource. I’d really appreciate if you decided to take the first path - and I guess other community members too.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards
Alex

[1] https://github.com/sonar-intellij-plugin/sonar-intellij-plugin/issues/7#issuecomment-28697350