[RFF] SonarLint for Visual Studio Code

Julien HENRY

May 24, 2017, 12:00:56 PM5/24/17
to SonarLint
Hi guys,

I'm pleased to announce the birth of SonarLint for Visual Studio Code.

Before the final release on the Marketplace, I would like to collect some feedback. Here is a link to download the extension:

Features:
  - on the fly analysis of JavaScript, PHP and Python files using default rules from SonarJS, SonarPHP and SonarPython.
  - for every reported issue, ability to open rule description in a web browser thanks to a code action (rule descriptions are embedded so that it also work offline)
  - free and open source

Requirement: having a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 8 installed on your box

Release notes:

Any feedback is welcome by replying to this thread until next Wednesday.

Enjoy!

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

http://sonarsource.com

kyled...@gmail.com

May 26, 2017, 10:21:54 AM5/26/17
to SonarLint
Hi Julien,

I'm on Windows 10 x64 running VS Code 1.12.2. Your notes and the project readme indicate this works with a JRE. I have Oracle JRE 8 Update 131 installed, but I get an error in VS Code and a prompt to download/install a JDK. Should this work with a JRE, or does it require a JDK?

Thanks,

Kyle Dodson

Julien HENRY

May 29, 2017, 2:28:12 AM5/29/17
to kyled...@gmail.com, SonarLint
Hi Kyle,

It is supposed to work with a JRE. The check is wrong, I'll fix it.

Thanks for the feedback,

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

http://sonarsource.com

Julien HENRY

May 29, 2017, 4:12:58 AM5/29/17
to kyled...@gmail.com, SonarLint
Here is a new build with the fix to only check for a JRE:

@kyle could you please confirm it works for you?

Thanks

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

http://sonarsource.com

Kyle Dodson

May 30, 2017, 11:11:23 AM5/30/17
to Julien HENRY, SonarLint
Thanks, Julien! I can confirm that the updated build works without any JDK installed (tested with Oracle JRE 8 Update 131).

I still needed to define the JAVA_HOME environment variable, though. If that is expected, maybe consider adding a note to the requirements section in the README? Without the JAVA_HOME environment variable, the plugin displayed an error that indicated a JRE wasn't installed. That error message is misleading-- The extension just needs the environment variable to locate the existing installation.

Thanks for the effort on this extension! This will be a powerful and useful addition to vscode!

Kyle Dodson

Julien HENRY

May 31, 2017, 3:24:46 AM5/31/17
to Kyle Dodson, SonarLint
Hi Kyle,

I'll fix that for the final release.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Julien

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

http://sonarsource.com

Julien HENRY

May 31, 2017, 3:28:31 AM5/31/17
to SonarLint
Feedback period is over, I'll proceed with the release.

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

http://sonarsource.com

banchare...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2017, 7:55:04 AM9/27/17
to SonarLint
Hi Julien,
Since VS Code is good for TypeScript, any plan to add SonarTS ?

Thanks,
Fabien.

Julien HENRY

Oct 9, 2017, 2:52:20 AM10/9/17
to banchare...@gmail.com, SonarLint
Hi,

For sure we are planning to make SonarTS compatible with SonarLint for VSCode :)

++

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

https://sonarsource.com