"Failed to load rules" when configuring SonarLint in "Connected Mode" / SonarQube

J Stewart

Nov 6, 2017, 4:53:55 PM11/6/17
to SonarLint
I have a working SonarQube server instance up and running (v 6.6), scanning a single Java project form our source code. I also have a working SonarLint installation (IntelliJ Ultimate 2017.2 - SonarLint v 3.0.0.2041). When I try to configure SonarLint in "Connected Mode" and establish a connection to my SonarQube server, I get an error that says "Failed to load rules" and nothing else. On my SonarQube server, I see a handful of requests coming from the plugin, all of which receive HTTP 200 responses.

1. Are there any debug logs within SonarLint that I can inspect?
2. Any ideas on what might be causing this? I couldn't find a solution after some web searches.

Julien HENRY

Nov 7, 2017, 3:32:29 AM11/7/17
to J Stewart, SonarLint
Hi Joshua,

In SonarLint side, enabling verbose output should allow you to see a stacktrace (in the SonarLint console).

We had various report in the past of corrupted Elastic Search index, resulting in inconsistent responses from the WS. So what you can try is to drop the data/es folder on your SonarQube server and restart it to force a full index creation.

++

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

https://sonarsource.com

joshua....@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2017, 8:18:43 AM11/7/17
to SonarLint
Thanks for the help. I hadn't even found the log window yet. I have now. That could prove helpful in the future. This morning I cannot reproduce the issue I was having yesterday. I never dropped the ES data, but will try that in the future if this problem occurs again.

(One thing to note... yesterday I had a project in SonarQube called ":". It was there due to a misconfiguration of a Maven-based project I had analyzed early on in my setup work. I deleted that project completely yesterday afternoon. Perhaps that weird project name was causing issues. Maybe not.)

bogguri...@gmail.com

Nov 30, 2017, 12:40:20 AM11/30/17
to SonarLint
Hi,
How to enable verbose logs in sonarlint eclipse? Could you please let me know.