Document that Option "Automatically trigger analysis" triggers auto-save of edited files after some idle time

b...@schablinski.de

Mar 30, 2017, 9:45:12 AM3/30/17
to SonarLint
Recently, I noticed that IDEA automatically saved edited files after some idle time. I took me quite awhile with support of JetBrains to find out that this SonarLint option was responsible for this.
I'd propose to make this behaviour clearer in the documentation of the plugin. In the plugin's settings view would be the best.

Regards,
Christof

duarte.meneses

Apr 4, 2017, 11:50:04 AM4/4/17
to SonarLint, b...@schablinski.de
Hi Christof,

Thanks for the feedback. We are working to soon stop having to save the files before running an analysis, at least in the standalone mode. We will consider adding a note about it in the website or in the settings.

best,
Duarte

jb...@synyx.de

Apr 10, 2017, 5:40:54 AM4/10/17
to SonarLint, b...@schablinski.de
Hi,

just to add a little weight to that feature.  It'd great if SonarLint wouldn't have to save for analyzing.  We're using a code formatting plugin, which reacts on saves.  As the automatic analyzing happens very frequently, that makes either the automatic formatting (cursor jumping around) or the automatic analyzing unusable.

Is there a public roadmap or an issue tracking system where that feature can be followed?

Greetings,

Jo

ric...@mindloops.nl

May 31, 2017, 6:52:02 AM5/31/17
to SonarLint, b...@schablinski.de
+1. This is a pretty important feature. Is there a JIRA ticket for this already? To give some context: While autosave might not be a big deal in Java-based projects it certainly is in frontend projects.  I'm currently working on a angular/typescript application and the autosave behaviour of the SonarLint plugin triggers a webpack reload every few seconds. This results in unfinished code getting compiled.

Julien HENRY

May 31, 2017, 8:16:12 AM5/31/17
to ric...@mindloops.nl, SonarLint, b...@schablinski.de

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

http://sonarsource.com

Richard Kettelerij

May 31, 2017, 12:56:48 PM5/31/17
to Julien HENRY, SonarLint, b...@schablinski.de
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

jb...@synyx.de

Jun 1, 2017, 2:43:39 AM6/1/17
to SonarLint, julien...@sonarsource.com, b...@schablinski.de, ric...@mindloops.nl
Thanks for the tickets, I documented the two examples from this thread there as well, to give it some more weight.

Am Mittwoch, 31. Mai 2017 18:56:48 UTC+2 schrieb Richard Kettelerij:
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

On 31 May 2017, at 14:15, Julien HENRY <julien...@sonarsource.com> wrote:

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

http://sonarsource.com

[...]

domini...@googlemail.com

Jun 8, 2018, 2:34:51 AM6/8/18
to SonarLint
Since we updated to version 3.3.0.2482 we have the same issue that the autosave damage many webpack builds. Is there anywhere an option to disable the autosave feature?

Julien HENRY

Jun 8, 2018, 3:01:46 AM6/8/18
to domini...@googlemail.com, SonarLint
Hi Dominic,

Are you using connected mode? If yes then ensure all analyzer on the SonarQube server are up to date.

++

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

https://sonarsource.com

--
Important: this SonarLint Google Group will close on June 11th, 2018, in order to move to a new forum to power even more community discussions. See details in this post: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sonarlint/7mRg447YjWM/yk64X5HyAQAJ
---

Duarte Meneses

Jun 8, 2018, 3:01:57 AM6/8/18
to domini...@googlemail.com, SonarLint
Hi,

The auto-save is no longer used as long as all the code analyzers are recent.
Could you please provide the versions of the analyzers that you are using? It should be logged in the SonarLint tool window logs during the first analysis after starting IntelliJ.

On 8 June 2018 at 08:34, dominicbuetow via SonarLint <sona...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Since we updated to version 3.3.0.2482 we have the same issue that the autosave damage many webpack builds. Is there anywhere an option to disable the autosave feature?

--
Important: this SonarLint Google Group will close on June 11th, 2018, in order to move to a new forum to power even more community discussions. See details in this post: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sonarlint/7mRg447YjWM/yk64X5HyAQAJ
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "SonarLint" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonarlint/9d3b0dfb-cb0c-4338-866f-86b08065d975%40googlegroups.com.

Duarte Meneses | SonarSource
Software Engineer

Are you using SonarLint in your IDE?

domini...@googlemail.com

Jun 8, 2018, 4:32:19 AM6/8/18
to SonarLint
We are using the following Versions which are not the latest:

SonarPHP 2.12.1.3018
Web 2.5.0.476
SonarJS 4.1.0.6085

We will update to the latest Versions next week.

It's a little bit wired that we need the latest plugins on the server to prevent SonarLint to autosave the file.

Am Freitag, 8. Juni 2018 09:01:57 UTC+2 schrieb duarte.meneses:
[...]

Duarte Meneses

Jun 8, 2018, 4:55:34 AM6/8/18
to domini...@googlemail.com, SonarLint
For most analyzers, you don't need to use the latest version, just not very old versions.
The reason is that analyzers used to read the source code directly from the file system, so SonarLint needed to save the file before they start performing the analysis.

In your case all analyzers are fine except Web. Unfortunately this one hasn't been updated yet and currently all versions of it need to have the file saved in advance.
We are working on updating all the analyzers so I expect that soon the problem will also be fixed for the Web analyzer.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonarlint/845f579e-678e-4ec1-a399-0ecc463246ec%40googlegroups.com.

domini...@googlemail.com

Jun 8, 2018, 5:32:10 AM6/8/18
to SonarLint
Thank you for your great explanation and quick response. We have uninstalled the Web analyzer which solved the issue.