Sonarlint popup colors are not synced with the eclipse theme, specially the dark theme

gaya...@gmail.com

May 31, 2018, 12:45:00 AM5/31/18
to SonarLint

For sonar popups such as org.sonarlint.eclipse.ui.internal.popup.ServerStorageNeedUpdatePopup the background is not synced with the eclipse theme when the them is set to use the Dark theme. I think the GradientColors class can be improved to use colors from the workbench for the gradient.  Another option is totally get rid of the gradient and let the eclipse theme colors to do the Job, Any thoughts ?

May be to make things uniform we can also consider moving eclipse mylyn commons notification system but that is not really required to solve this.

Julien HENRY

May 31, 2018, 3:19:25 AM5/31/18
to gaya...@gmail.com, SonarLint
Hi,

Our popup is heavily inspired on mylyn commons notification, but probably a very old version. We could improve it (PR are welcome :) ), or indeed directly us it. My concern is that we should be careful to still support all Eclipse based IDEs, as well as past Eclipse versions. They may not provide this plugin in their update site. Maybe we would have to package this mylyn commons notification plugin in our update site?

If you have some experience with this, feel free to share.

BTW, there is already a ticket:

++

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

https://sonarsource.com

For sonar popups such as org.sonarlint.eclipse.ui.internal.popup.ServerStorageNeedUpdatePopup the background is not synced with the eclipse theme when the them is set to use the Dark theme. I think the GradientColors class can be improved to use colors from the workbench for the gradient.  Another option is totally get rid of the gradient and let the eclipse theme colors to do the Job, Any thoughts ?

May be to make things uniform we can also consider moving eclipse mylyn commons notification system but that is not really required to solve this.

gaya...@gmail.com

May 31, 2018, 4:12:50 AM5/31/18
to SonarLint
Hi

I agree may be depending on the mylyn commons notifications is might be problematic when it comes to support old versions. I will submit a PR which will more focus on keeping the existing popup implementation but change how the gradients are calculation. Hopefully my implementation will support some old eclipse versions as well.