SonarLint handling/administration with lots of projects/plugins

holger...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2017, 2:12:44 AM11/14/17
to SonarLint
Hi SonarLint team,

our Eclipse workspace contains more than 1000 plugins... Thus I have some questions:
1. Is there a recommended possibility/procedure to connect all of them to a single SonarQube server instance? (currently we have a script that creates the SonarLint settings file for each plugin)
2. Is there a possiblity to deactivate SonarLint globally in Eclipse?
3. Do you think the performance will be OK? (e.g. if the configuration on the Server changes and SonarLint must get the new setup)

Further info:
- there is just 1 SonarQube server project
- we have 1 global configuration and want that all plugins take that configuration

Thanks in advance.

Julien HENRY

Nov 14, 2017, 3:24:58 AM11/14/17
to Holger Mensch, SonarLint
Hi Holger,

1) Selecting multiple projects in the workspace, then opening the binding wizard is supported. If your projects names in Eclipse are close enough to their SonarQube key/name, auto-binding should work. I never tested with so many projects at the same time, so feedback is welcome.
2) If you mean deactivating on-the-fly analysis, then no, this is only per project.
3) Since you have a single server, doing "update all projets binding" will: fetch global data once (rules, analyzers, ...) and then fetch each project/module settings (4 WS call per project/module). So it heavily depends on your network latency. With 1000 projects and an average of 100 ms per WS, it would take 4 min. We have plans to improve this, but this is not yet specified.

Regards,

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

https://sonarsource.com

Julian Honnen

Nov 14, 2017, 6:37:58 AM11/14/17
to SonarLint
We intend to bind all eclipse bundles to the same sonarqube project so auto-binding won't work for us. Using the binding wizard for multiple projects is tedious, because you can't select one sonarqube project and link it with all selected eclipse projects at once:

Ideally the sonarlint preferences would work similarly to the jdt code style or compiler preferences: You could configure a default binding in the workspace preferences and if needed overwrite that binding via project specific settings in selected projects. Do you have something like that on your roadmap?

Regards, Julian

Am Dienstag, 14. November 2017 09:24:58 UTC+1 schrieb Julien HENRY:
[...]

Julien HENRY

Nov 14, 2017, 6:59:16 AM11/14/17
to Julian Honnen, SonarLint
If you don't bind each Eclipse project to the correct SonarQube module, you'll lose issue synchronization (ie when marking an issue as false positive/won't fix in SonarQube server, it will not be muted in SonarLint).

We have plan to drop this constraint by allowing to bind Eclipse projects directly to their SonarQube project, and automatically find modules. But this is a complex topic, so not sure when it will come.

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

https://sonarsource.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonarlint/82880dc0-8f9d-4281-94da-bf50a5085f7a%40googlegroups.com.

jonny....@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 2:03:20 AM2/16/18
to SonarLint
Hi Julien,

yet another feedback:

We have a multi module hierarchy consisting of about 700 modules, each bound to its corresponding sonar-module. SonarLint autobind feature worked fine, but: Eclipse start (as well "update all project bindings" on "SonarQube Servers" view) unfortunately leads to "java.net.SocketException: No buffer space available (maximum connections reached?): connect" after a while. We are using Windows 7 and this "Resource Monitor" tool in fact shows up 500 active tcp connections bound to the eclipse process. I've already played around with some windows tcp params, without results. Seems that these 4 connections per module aren't eather reused or closed accurately. Sadly SonarLint, by itself a great tool, is not usable for our scenario.

Regards from Germany

Jonny
Deferred Clean Developer

[...]

Julien HENRY

May 3, 2018, 11:24:09 AM5/3/18
to jonny....@gmail.com, SonarLint
Hi Jonny,

Sorry for the late reply. I finally took time to look at your issue. I have imported a Maven project in Eclipse with 500 modules and (after a while) successfully managed to bind. Do you still have the problem with latest version of SonarLint?

++

Julien Henry | SonarSource

Developer

https://sonarsource.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sonarlint/9ef360a1-d80b-4d2f-8c35-c1dfc6fff576%40googlegroups.com.

jonny....@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 11:23:47 AM5/9/18
to SonarLint
Hi Julien,

it seems that we have some basic issues with our windows network configuration as we run into that kind of errors running others tools as well, i.e. maven. We "manage" this issue connected to sonarlint by reducing the amount of sonarlint-enabled modules under 500 (i.e. by disabling pure test modules) as long as the underlying problems further exist.

Nevertheless, thanks for your efforts!

Jonny