New proposal for members meeting

Chris Nash

May 3, 2024, 11:36:55 AMMay 3
to Southampton Makerspace

I have an item I would like to add to the agenda for the next members meeting.

I am currently preparing to hold a number of beginner classes for laser cutting, 3d printing and epoxy resin casting, focusing predominantly on the key aspects of design. I am expecting to do this for small groups of people who want to get started with these technologies but are unsure where to start.

I am looking at a number of venues to host these sessions but wanted to offer hosting to the space first to see if this would be something the space would want to accommodate. I think it would be a good opportunity for the space for the following reasons:

-          It would bring new visitors to the space who would be keen to use the tools we have to offer. This could lead to new members joining.

-          I would be charging for these sessions which would cover cost of materials and a donation to the space for each attendee, increasing the space revenue.

-          It would give people who want to pursue a new hobby an opportunity to explore this in a supported environment

To mitigate any concerns:

-          There would be no liability for the space as SoMakeIt it is not offering the classes or “training”. It is just allowing use of the location. My public liability insurance would cover any possible issues or accidents, although I see this as unlikely.

-          A full risk assessment would be completed for each activity and be submitted to trustees for approval.

-          Attendees would not be using any of the space equipment that require induction unless they had signed up to be a member and were trained as per our normal procedure.

-          Although a space in the clean room would be required for attendees, exclusive use of the space would not be required so this would not limit usage times for regular members. I would run these sessions outside of normal opening times, increasing the time the space is open for non-keyholders.

My proposal is: Allow hosting of beginner craft classes at SoMakeIt

Please let me know your thoughts

Ben Jacobs-Howe

May 3, 2024, 4:02:10 PMMay 3
to Southampton Makerspace