Alternative Wall Installation committee

James Bruton

Apr 14, 2022, 11:52:49 AM4/14/22
to Southampton Makerspace
We are forming an 'Alternative Wall Installation committee' to design and price up, and potentially build an accessible entrance for SoMakeIt.  Any members who wish to join the committee should join the #alternative-wall-installation Slack channel

James
Trustee

James Bruton

Jun 16, 2022, 4:20:52 AM6/16/22
to Southampton Makerspace
We now have a proposal for the Alternative Wall and Accessible Entrance.

Requirements: Create a dedicated and accessible entrance to SoMakeIt. It must be secure and to standard for our insurance company (BS3621 locks). It must also look professional so the landlord will accept it and so it will not become a target for break-ins.

Proposal: As the landlord is not keen on us modifying the building or cutting the roller shutter door up to install a wicket door, we propose to simply roll up the roller shutter and install an alternative wall in the hole, and put a door in it. In the future it could be removed and the roller shutter simply rolled down again. This must include a proper security door that is wide enough for wheelchairs and can be operated by one person from the outside from sitting height.

Costs: A suitable door with the correct options is £279.97 plus VAT and Shipping: £413.96

https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/product/steel-security-doors/steel-door

We also need to construct the wall with a metal skin/sheet on the outside to fill the entire gap which is approx 2.75 metres, plus timber framing. Estimated total cost: £650

This was raised at the Member's meeting on 14th June with no objections. If anyone has any alternative ideas please maker them known, otherwise we'll go ahead with the plan.

James