AGM Agenda and Hack the Space Day

Chris Nash

Feb 12, 2022, 4:43:34 PMFeb 12
to Southampton Makerspace
Hello to all members,

Please find below the agenda for AGM on Wednesday 16th February 2022. We will be starting at 7pm and will be hosting this virtually. The link for this will be sent out on Tuesday 15th February via google groups and Slack. If you are unable to attend this virtual event, please email trus...@somakeit.org.uk so your votes can be counted for all of the proposals.

The next hack the space day will be on Sunday 27th February. Our main objective will be to finish the painting. There will also be some organisation of resources too. We will be starting at 10am and would love to see you there to help.

Please see AGM agenda below.

AGM Agenda Wednesday 16th February 2022

  1. Welcome and overview of the last year

  2. Appoint chairperson

  3. Reaffirm current trustees

  4. Approve new trustees (if any)

  5. Approve the accounts

    1. Accounts summary for last year

    2. Overview of the current accounts

    3. Approval of accounts

    4. Reappointment of the treasurer

  6. Proposal 1 - Investment in a new CNC machine

  7. Proposal 2 - Organising communal material storage

  8. Proposal 3 - Electronics area improvements

  9. Proposal 4 - Making lone worker policy clear

  10. Proposal 5 - Updating the keyholder process

  11. Proposal 6 - Creating a fair use policy on materials

  12. Proposal 7 - Implementation of a small purchase process

  13. End of AGM

  14. Q&A with the trustees

Proposal 1 - Investment in a new CNC machine

Bertha has been housed at the space for a number of years now. Although some members have worked very hard to get Bertha running, it has still not been able to be used by members due to its limitations. Cutting speed, accuracy and the limited amount of materials it can cut compared to the amount of space it takes up in the workshop does not make Bertha a viable option for a CNC. Style CNC 6090 is a factory-made CNC with a 600mm x 900mm bed. It can cut a wide range of materials including aluminum, brass, copper and stone with very high accuracy and comes with a wide range of accessories including a rotary table. This would drastically increase the scope of use as well as the reliability and safety of use by members. After speaking to multiple people who own the exact same machine, it is clear that this tool would be a reliable and effective alternative.

Main configurations:

#Working area: 600*900*200mm

#2.2kw water cooling spindle

#Fuling inverter

#RichAuto A11 DSP control system

#Leadshine M860 driver+450A motor

#Taiwan Hiwin square rails

#Taiwan TBI ballscrew transmission

#T-slot table with PVC

#Tool sensor

#France Schneider electric components

#Omron limit sensor

Optional Extras

#3.0KW water cooling spindle                    +250$

#Water tank / Mist cooling                          +100$

#Diameter 80mm Length 900mm Rotary   +300$

Total cost including EXTRAS taxes and shipping - 5980USD = £4449

Option 1 - Invest in Style6090 CNC and replace Bertha

Option 2 - Keep Bertha

Option 3 - Remove Bertha to make space for different equipment

Proposal 2 - Organisation of communal material storage in the workshop

SoMakeIt has been built upon the kindness, generosity and hard work of others. This has led to a large surplus of materials being donated and collected by members over the years, particularly in the workshop. Although access to these materials can be useful at times, our floor space in the unit is limited and removing communal materials that may not get used for a very long time, if at all, would free up space for more tools and opportunities for more interesting projects to be completed. It would mean that we could expand the number or type of tooling available which could increase membership. Members would still be able to store their ongoing projects and labeled materials, providing that they have a date for removal/completion. This will be clearly labeled using the members' storage labels. However, generic materials for general use would be removed unless they have been designated for a space improvement project. This rule would also not apply to any consumables such as electronics components, welding rods, 3D printing filament, fixings etc.

Option 1 - Remove all communal material storage in the workshop

Option 2 - Keep communal material storage to the 2 current storage compartments with the workshop team designated to decide which materials are to be kept

Option 3 - Keep communal material storage in the workshop but build custom storage on the wall to free up floor space

Option 4 - Have no limit on communal material storage

Proposal 3 - Electronics area improvements

This proposal covers spending ~£2300 to upgrade the electronics area to a state where it can support the basic requirements for building testing and repairing electronics. These items will expect to see very regular use as they are common tools for the design, build, and debugging of electronics. While this price is fairly accurate there may be some minor additional costs that have been missed e.g. postage so a £100 contingency should be added to the total bringing the total requested to £2400. While we expect we may find future deficiencies with the electronics tools,  the tools in this proposal will cover the vast majority of the expenditure required to cover the electronics fundamentals.

Please see here for full explanation and breakdown of materials and items

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oVHCUMU1xeXG-jqOjmfJv4k-U-Y6aQE3xeBsb0ZD06k/edit?usp=sharing

Option 1 - proceed with spending £2400 on improving the electronics area

Option 2 - do not proceed with spending £2400 on improving the electronics area

Proposal 4 - Making Lone Worker Policy clear

In order for keyholders to make the most of the space outside of opening hours, A lone worker policy should be in place. This has previously been a verbal expectation but we feel this should be documented as part of the health and safety processes of the space Please see here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z0VYShyYLlXpI6w6TxOAzhtVSR76w-9-/edit

Option 1 - To allow lone working under the Lone Working Policy as long as all reasonable safety precautions are taken

Option 2 - To ban any lone working at any time

Proposal 5 - Updating the keyholder process

We have now updated our members area. This has meant that we can now track membership numbers, key fobs and payments along with many other features that can be integrated in the future. However, this has led to us having to update our keyholder policy as we are no longer able to “approve” keyholders in the same way. We want to make the space more accessible to members outside of normal opening hours but also want to ensure the safety of the space and its members. Keyholders will still be digitally tracked and this process only applies to new members wanting to become keyholders.

Option 1 - A requirement to attend at least 1 members meeting and at least 1 hack the space day before approval for keys by 2 trustees and 2 members verbally. (In exceptional circumstances, attendance to other events in exchange for the events listed above can be negotiated as part of this process.)

Option 2 - To manually track via a centrally hosted Excel spreadsheet who has approved each new member until 8 members and 2 trustees have been reached.

Proposal 6 -Implementing a fair use policy

So Make It is keen to provide consumables to ensure that any tool or equipment is able to be used at any time that members require it. We would, however, like to introduce a fair use policy to ensure that members who are planning to complete a significant amount of work with one particular tool or consumable item contributes towards its cost.

Option 1 - To introduce the fair use policy that can be found here

Option 2 - To provide free to use consumables with no limit on use

Option 3 - To expect members to provide the consumables they need

 Proposal 7 - Small purchases procedure

The space often needs small items consumables or replacements which need to be purchased. The following is a formal outline for the process we would like to implement so that members are empowered to request items for the space as and when they are needed. The amounts relate to the value of each individual item and not a combined total of items. Trustees will look at necessity and the number of members that will see use from these purchases and will evaluate them on an item by item basis.

Small purchases of consumables and tools

1. For purchases less than £50, ask permission from trustees via #treasury channel on slack or via email – trus...@somakeit.org.uk . Only 1 trustee is required to approve a purchase of this size. Once permission has been granted, order the item and fill in the expenses form on the links page of the members area. Expenses will be paid within 7 days. If you are not able to purchase the item yourself, trustees will purchase the item/s and claim back expenses.

2. For purchases greater than £50 and less than £100, ask permission from trustees via #treasury channel on slack or via email – trus...@somakeit.org.uk . 2 trustees are required to approve a purchase of this size. Once permission has been granted, order the item and fill in the expenses form on the links page of the members area. Expenses will be paid within 7 days. If you are not able to purchase the item yourself, trustees will purchase the item/s and claim back expenses.

3. For purchases greater than £100 and less than £250, ask permission from trustees via #treasury channel on slack or via email – trus...@somakeit.org.uk . 3 trustees are required to approve a purchase of this size. Once permission has been granted, order the item and fill in the expenses form on the links page of the members area. Expenses will be paid within 7 days. If you are not able to purchase the item yourself, trustees will purchase the item/s and claim back expenses.

4. For purchases greater than £250, a subcommittee must be formed and members consulted via the large change process.

Option 1 - adopt small purchase procedure

Option 2 - don’t adopt small purchase procedure