URGENT - AGM POSTPONED

Ben Jacobs-Howe

Feb 14, 2022, 4:32:52 PM2/14/22
to Southampton Makerspace

URGENT - AGM POSTPONED

Dear Members

The AGM scheduled for 16th February is postponed. We will provide a new date as soon as we can.

The trustees were contacted by our accountant today with some queries on previous years reporting prior to FY20-21 that may have a further financial impact. Although the space finances are in a good position, we want to resolve these queries before holding an AGM, so that we can ensure the finances are in the right place before we vote on new capital purchases.

Trustees will be at the space on Tuesday evening (15th Feb) if you want to discuss this with us. Alternatively message any of us on Slack or email Trus...@somakeit.org.uk

Thanks for your support.

Bracken Dawson

Feb 14, 2022, 6:30:38 PM2/14/22
to soma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the information Ben, good call. 👍

Given the delay, would it be possible to get all the proposals into an approve or reject state? We know from experience that multiple choice leads to hours long debate. Also some are missing a "status quo" vote option.

Do we have a secretary lined up? I'm willing to sec and write minutes if I can make the new AGM date.

Rob Cowe

Feb 15, 2022, 3:04:02 PM2/15/22
to Southampton Makerspace
I was treasurer at that time and prepared some of those accounts, if there are any queries you think I can help answer, don't hesitate to email me.

Alistair Brugsch

Feb 17, 2022, 9:47:45 AM2/17/22
to soma...@googlegroups.com
I know it's a bit irrelevant now but the first message in this chain got detected as spam by my GMAIL.

I know a few gmail recipients have been seeing messages from SMI get flagged as spam. I don't know what (if anything) can be done though

Ed Chaney

Feb 20, 2022, 6:13:39 AM2/20/22
to soma...@googlegroups.com
Agree with Bracken, proposals are much better if they are yay/nay type things. Use the forum/slack/members meetings to narrow down to one proposal that most people agree on to save discussion time at the AGM.

In fairness, I actually think many of those proposals could be decided by a combination of member's meetings and/or trustee approval outside of an AGM.

AGM's are only once per year. I don't think we should be waiting for up to a year to decide something. Just put the word out, get a representative opinion, modify the proposal so it's widely acceptable, then get accountability through a member's vote/meeting (if needed) then go for it. Do-oracy ftw!

For me, the AGM proposal should be higher level - company related stuff. Change to trustees, accounts approval, changes to the articles of association and probably changes to the core rules since they are fundamental. Just my thoughts though.

WRT to the accounts, I may have had a hand in some of that too, let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Good decision to get an accountant in.

Ben Jacobs-Howe

Feb 22, 2022, 4:05:58 PM2/22/22
to Southampton Makerspace
I understand the reasons behind the yay nay options, but we think there is some benefit to the multiple choices in this instance. The proposals have been discussed at the last members meeting and updated with comments where appropriate. I think you're right about the higher level subjects and we're working towards it, but our time is limited and we need to get decisions on big spend and policy changes in order to enable members to make the decisions at monthly meetings. At the moment we are limited to small amounts of money without an agm decision.

Ed Chaney

Feb 25, 2022, 9:59:25 AM2/25/22
to soma...@googlegroups.com
Understood Ben, thanks for the feedback all seems reasonable under the circumstances.