SOMns 0.4.0 Release: A Concurrency Agnostic Debugger

Stefan Marr

Jun 20, 2017, 8:10:18 AM6/20/17
to som...@googlegroups.com
Hi:

As announced last week, SOMns 0.4.0 is now released as “stable”.

This means, it is the currently recommended version for student projects.
For the next changes, we will try to switch to a separate dev branch, to avoid any accidental updates to unstable/work in progress/unreleased code.

This won’t change much with respect to how we handle things.
All contributions are still done via pull requests, but then against ‘dev’ instead of ‘master’.

The changelog didn’t change, please find it below or on github: https://github.com/smarr/SOMns/releases/tag/v0.4.0

## [0.4.0] - [Concurrency-Agnostic Debugger][v4]

This release introduces concurrency-agnostic debugging based on Kómpos.
It is realized by using a debugger protocol that abstracts from concurrency
concepts and instead uses a uniform representation and meta data that instructs
Kómpos how to understand and visualize breakpoints, stepping operations, and
data visualization

- introduced a uniform trace format ([PR #155](https://github.com/smarr/SOMns/pull/155))
- added process view
- refactor handling of breakpoints and stepping in interpreter and Kómpos
- added advanced stepping operations and breakpoints for STM, fork/join, actors, CSP, threads and locks

### Other Enhancements

- Switch to unified Truffle+Graal repo [PR #149](https://github.com/smarr/SOMns/pull/149)

- Updated to Truffle 0.25 [PR #132](https://github.com/smarr/SOMns/pull/132)

- Use precise array type check [PR #128](https://github.com/smarr/SOMns/pull/128)