Commit message, branch naming and the "Project" feature of Github

Taihsiang Ho

Sep 19, 2016, 6:09:39 AM9/19/16
to sol...@googlegroups.com
Hi, we all knew that recently Github has released its "Project" feature to trace the project in a better way. We have adopted the following two conventions for a while, and it works well from my point of view:

  • commit message: Ref issue xx foo-bar-commit-message
We may use the project information to be a part of commit messages and branch naming.

What do you think? Do you think that to adopt project names is a good idea? If yes, how do we use it? Comments are welcome. Thanks!

Cheers,
Taihsiang

Yung-Yu Chen

Sep 20, 2016, 7:02:13 AM9/20/16
to sol...@googlegroups.com
Having meta data in names helps collaborator to relate items quickly.  But I am not sure it helps a lot to load many numbers in names.  It may not be easy to write a concise name when we have both issue and project numbers in it.  I think it’s OK to add project number to commit log, but maybe we don’t need to force us to put it in the first line.

We probably can include an issue number in branch name when appropriate, but I don’t think we should include a project number.  Including both numbers definitely sounds like a bad idea.  How’d we know which number is which?  Would it need to prefix the numbers with “i” or “p”?  I don’t feel it’s easy for human to read.

Project is a very new feature.  It could be too early to set a convention to name other stuff using project number.  We have only one commit after GitHub announced the feature.  Let’s do more with it and then come back to review whether we need a convention.

Yung-Yu

Cheers,
Taihsiang

Yung-Yu Chen