Debian build notes

Nathan Woods

Dec 30, 2011, 1:54:22 PM12/30/11
to solvcon
Building solvcon in Debian squeeze (stable) takes just a bit of extra
work.

As usual, you need to set up the ssh key authentication. That's
another thing that should be noted in the installation notes, btw.

Next, you need to manually upgrade numpy, as the version in the Debian
repositories is only 1.4. I did this using the numpy source code,
without problems. You could potentially use the scipy ppa as well,
though I didn't confirm that.

I didn't compile with CUDA support.

Everything else worked like a charm.

Nate Woods

Nathan Woods

Dec 30, 2011, 2:26:24 PM12/30/11
to solvcon
... I take that back. nosetests in the source directory worked fine (7
tests skipped, presumably related to CUDA). However, importing solvcon
in python and running solvcon.test() failed. I also saw where the key
authentication is mentioned in the install notes. I was just running
the nose tests before I got to that section. So nevermind about that.

Oh, and you have to additionally install the python-profiler package
from the debian non-free sources, because something about its licenses
offends the sensibilities of the Debian crowd.

Solvcon was installed with the command "sudo python setup.py install"

Many files (.blk, .neu) in $SCSRC/solvcon/test ended up in /usr/local/
share/, rather than ~/.local/share/, which is what the tests seem to
expect: "IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/
woodscn/.local/share/solvcon/test/sample_0.0.0.1.blk'"

Another error I couldn't make sense of was this:

ERROR: test_compare (solvcon.io.tests.test_genesis.TestLarge)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/solvcon/io/tests/
test_genesis.py", line 709, in test_compare
gn1 = Genesis(os.path.join(env.datadir, 'cubic_t200mm.g'))
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/solvcon/io/genesis.py",
line 49, in __init__
super(Genesis, self).__init__(*arg, **kw)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/solvcon/io/netcdf.py",
line 274, in __init__
self.open_file(path, omode)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/solvcon/io/netcdf.py",
line 297, in open_file
raise IOError(self.nc_strerror(retval))
IOError: No such file or directory

ERROR: test_aa (solvcon.io.tests.test_netcdf.TestReadClassic)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/solvcon/io/tests/
test_netcdf.py", line 45, in test_aa
nc = NetCDF(self.testfn)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/solvcon/io/netcdf.py",
line 274, in __init__
self.open_file(path, omode)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/solvcon/io/netcdf.py",
line 297, in open_file
raise IOError(self.nc_strerror(retval))
IOError: No such file or directory

Several similar errors occurred in test_genesis and test_netcdf. There
were also others, but they may be caused by these here.

Nate

On Dec 30, 11:54 am, Nathan Woods <charles.n.wo...@colorado.edu>

Yung-Yu Chen

Jan 1, 2012, 2:50:13 AM1/1/12
to sol...@googlegroups.com

Thanks.  I've updated this in https://bitbucket.org/yungyuc/solvcon .  The solvcon site will be updated next time I release 0.1.1.

Solvcon was installed with the command "sudo python setup.py install"

Many files (.blk, .neu) in $SCSRC/solvcon/test ended up in /usr/local/
share/, rather than ~/.local/share/, which is what the tests seem to
expect: "IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/
woodscn/.local/share/solvcon/test/sample_0.0.0.1.blk'"

There could be an error in my code determining path.
It seems also about my code determining path in solvcon.conf.  But if nosetests runs fine in $SCSRC, then it's not really a problem.

In my machine both ways of running tests work good.  I need your help to debug it.

yyc

wrote:
> Building solvcon in Debian squeeze (stable) takes just a bit of extra
> work.
>
> As usual, you need to set up the ssh key authentication. That's
> another thing that should be noted in the installation notes, btw.
>
> Next, you need to manually upgrade numpy, as the version in the Debian
> repositories is only 1.4. I did this using the numpy source code,
> without problems. You could potentially use the scipy ppa as well,
> though I didn't confirm that.
>
> I didn't compile with CUDA support.
>
> Everything else worked like a charm.
>
> Nate Woods