Query about multiple Solr Cores

Dipu D

Apr 28, 2023, 3:49:44 AM4/28/23
to SolrNet
Team,

I am creating a multi tenant application. This will have a fixed schema and some part of it is dynamic. Planning to use the dynamic fileds to address the issue with dynamic part of the schema. Here, each tenant is currently using numerous Indexes in the current implementation of the search using another provider. They want us to replace existing system with something like Solr.

Since each tenant can have multiple Indexes and the number of Indexes required for each tenant is unknown, It is difficult to set an fixed number of Cores. Also in c#, we need to have define the number of cores in the startup class(.Net 6 or higher). Eventhough the number of Indexes are many, For each tenant, schema used across is same between the Indexes. Ie, all the indexes of a tenant share the same schema. With that condition, I am not sure, whether it is feasible to define multiple cores for a tenant and all client share the same schema.
I am aware that sharding is something that can address part of this problem by dividing the data based on the key on uniqueKey. So if the unique key is defined well, it can act as an Index kind for the client with one large Index and each shard can represent existing Indexes for a tenant. Still, I am afraid, If I go that route, if I need to Update an Index(here shard), I still need to perform reindexing on the whore core here.

Does anyone have a better solution for this problem?

Thanks
DD