log4j-1.2.17.jar

Mark Andrea

Oct 12, 2022, 7:59:37 AM10/12/22
to solrmarc-tech
Are there plans to upgrade version 1 per the below?

Thanks,
Mark

Demian Katz

Oct 12, 2022, 8:01:41 AM10/12/22
to solrmarc-tech
It looks like it may be relatively straightforward to upgrade by using the bridge adapter: https://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/log4j-1.2-api/index.html -- certainly worth a try, if anyone has time!

- Demian

Demian Katz

Oct 12, 2022, 8:03:28 AM10/12/22
to solrmarc-tech
I've opened an issue to log this: https://github.com/solrmarc/solrmarc/issues/96

- Demian

Tod Olson

Oct 12, 2022, 9:20:12 AM10/12/22
to solrma...@googlegroups.com, Tod Olson
As another bit of code housekeeping, would it make sense to consider bumping up the java.compat.version at the same time? I see that solrmarc still building targeting Java 7 compatibility.

I looked at bumping up to Java 8 a long time ago, I think code changes for that would be minor, but the java doc requirements became more strict and would take some work. Though I imagine going to Java 11 would make more sense at this date.

-Tod

Demian Katz

Oct 12, 2022, 9:27:48 AM10/12/22
to solrma...@googlegroups.com, Tod Olson

Certainly going to Java 8 as an incremental step seems uncontroversial (though as you say, 11 is very widespread at this point). Unless going directly to 11 is easier, it might actually be less work to do it in increments. And, of course, the key question is whether anyone currently has available bandwidth to work on this!

- Demian

Tod Olson

Oct 12, 2022, 9:31:47 AM10/12/22
to solrmarc-tech, Tod Olson
Yes. I started this once upon a time... : )