Tips for playing solo/experiences with playing solo?

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:29:55 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

Old Repost:

Tips for playing solo/experiences with playing solo?

I often begin a solo session but mostly lose interest halfway. My only "successful" solo sessions where with using the 9Qs using rules-lite systems.

I think my problem is that I have difficulty with the Oracle. Using Story Cubes often gets me stumped because the results are so random. Trying to "control" the story line is unsatisfying because it doesn't feel like I have a GM who acts as input for me. The Mythic GME feels like a rigid restriction and too much bookkeeping.

  • How can I make it feel more like roleplaying instead of story-writing?
  • Which rpg systems do work for you (more simulation-oriented like DnD or more abstract-oriented systems like Fate)?
  • Which oracle systems/solo engines work best for you (Mythic GME/Story Cubes etc.)?
  • Which kind of method for logging (online, on paper...)?
  • How do you stay motivated?

#advice #old_lone_wolf #musings

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:31:59 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

(Old answer repost):

How can I make it feel more like roleplaying instead of story-writing?

For this question to be answered satisfyingly, I am of the opinion that we need to have a clear idea of what roleplaying is in the first place. I think in the context of not wanting it to feel like story-writing, because of a lack of GM input, maybe it's useful to think of it in terms of resistance or pushback (something I picked up from someone's comment on a different forum).

Oracles provide resistance, given that you respect the oracle results. I think one could say that solo engines like the 9Q's also provide resistance via scene framing. Scarlet Heroes', in addition to to the oracles and scene framing via scene types, also has a a sort of "doom track" which I think adds to that feeling of pushback.

The "downsides" to these are:

  • Oracles only give you input when you consult them, and they can be very random
  • Scene framing via scene types or questions only give you a push at the beginning of a scene or chunk. After that, you're on your own.
  • Doom tracks might feel meta-gamey.

Which rpg systems do work for you (more simulation-oriented like DnD or more abstract-oriented systems like Fate)?

I've only used so-called story games so far, though I've really wanted to try GURPS for a while. The difference is that maybe the storygames I've used shield the character from death before a sort of story conclusion has been reached. I can see a GURPS game ending before things even get going.

The closest thing I've used to a GURPS like experience is Mythic itself, and there were moments in the middle of a climax where I thought my PC would be killed-- which would have been anti-climatic and abrupt, so it wouldn't have been much of a story-- but I would have had to be OK with it or cheated.:)

Which oracle systems/solo engines work best for you (Mythic GME/Story Cubes etc.)?

I think that so far, a combination of things:

  • Bright Idea Deck for generating content as if it was a GM
  • the Mythic GME chart for the same reason, but used to a lesser extent
  • Mythic engine altered/interruption scenes for light scene framing
  • Mythic thread lists for giving myself some direction if needed
  • Mythic random event sub system for more unpredictability
  • Story Cubes for quick NPC backstory generation

Which kind of method for logging (online, on paper...)?

I like to use a log window so that I don't have to write down the fiddly mechanic bits as far as Mythic goes (since that is the only one that is in the implementation of the log scritp).

How do you stay motivated?

I try to keep things flowing by not taking too much time during interpretation. Interacting with the rules of an RPG, though, I don't mind, since I'm interested in what the system will output.

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:33:23 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

(Repost of old answer):

How can I make it feel more like roleplaying instead of story-writing?

It sounds to me like your question is really, how do i make solo gaming feel like social gaming. My answer? It won't; it's a different animal.

I think part of what gets you out of story-writing is the random results provided by the oracle and the game system involved. It's that putting the control in the hands of a system that isn't you.

As for the roleplaying part, I think roleplaying is simply making decisions as the character based on the in game information at hand. If you're doing that, then you are roleplaying.

Which rpg systems do work for you?

I like old school D&D and retroclones. They are rules light and don't get bogged down in minutiae. More recent systems are things like USR and Risus.

Which oracle systems/solo engines work best for you?

I like all of them depending on my mood. Sometimes Mythic GME is all i need, other times Storycubes, still other times it's just random tables of all kinds.

Which kind of method for logging (online, on paper...)?

I open up Google Drive and create a document. Maps (for dungeon crawls or hex crawls) use dead-tree paper with appropriate grid, character sheets are on paper as well.

How do you stay motivated?

I read other people's session summaries, i read fiction and non fiction, lot's of game related stuff. My recent return to my solo dungeon campaign was precipitated in part because I am running two social games, and wanted a chance to do some things as a character. I had a TPK first session back, and I'm really excited to switch to a different rule system with the new characters.

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:34:34 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

(Repost of old answer):

Echoing what a lot have said already, for me, it is very much story-telling (writing)...but I still feel it is more roleplaying than story-writing, in that there are mechanics with which to engage and randomness that takes some control away from me in a way that's thrilling.

The thing that is most important to me when using any sort of GM emulation system, is that the big thing that will keep it from being too random is context. I like Rory's Story Cubes, and interpreting them within a given context (as in, what has happened thus far in the story) is fun, and keeps things from running too far afield. Definitely the non-themed story dice are the best for keeping things as abstract as possible; meaning, I can always plug them into my context because a clock face can mean dozens of things.

For systems, light ones keep a forward flow more than crunchy ones. Getting caught up in the system is fun, but I don't find that the slowing story flow is fun or inspires me to continue.

For oracle systems, I have a bunch, but usually like ones that are low in bookkeeping, as you said. My simplified Mythic is fine, I like just tossing story cubes, or 9Q's.

For logging, I have a bit of a funny system. I use TrunkNotes on my iPad or iPhone (which syncs to a dropbox folder) for the actual game log. Sometimes I will use the voice recognition stuff to dictate (but I don't really find that to be much faster than typing, and it's HORRIBLE for fantasy-flavored names). I keep actual character sheets on Inkflow, into which I can import an image of the character sheet, and write/erase all over it.

Motivation is hard. I stop far more projects than I start. That's okay. Not every idea will be a winner...if it doesn't hold your interest, don't feel bad about abandoning it. Save your notes, though! You may find that reviewing them later will get the juices going again. Breaks are good. Don't beat yourself up for taking them. Coming back to old things is sometimes easier than starting new games...and you might find an old idea you discarded to be more appealing later. Also, keep reading others' actual posts to get inspired. Having a community like this is great (thanks, Alex! Glad to see more posts all of sudden around here).

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:35:12 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

(Repost of old answer):

what do you want out of roleplaying?

For me I want it to be more like fiction / story writing. This is important to me. Take a read of my Your Guide for Playing Alone (there is a link below) and see if that can help you uncover why you want to roleplay.

I use solo engines (Mythic GME or my Fate Solo) and other resources (UNE for example) to guide what happens within the game.

As for rulesets my next few games will be using Fate (I really need to playtest Fate Solo). I feel that as long as the ruleset fits right with you then it'll work well. Personally I think games that require a group will not work as well as games in which you do not.

Logging: I write it down as if I'm a novelist. (I also make notes for all the dice rolls I use. You don't have to do this but I do for my play reports on my website.) At the end of a session I then write down some thoughts and feelings (again for my play reports).

Motivation I think comes from thinking: wow. That's cool. I really enjoy this, I want to come back. Also for me thinking of my readers on my blog. Finally motivation comes from enjoying it. You should look forward to your roleplaying sessions as something fun not as 'oh, God, here we go again.' I mean, it's a hobby right?

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:36:41 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

(Repost from old Lonewolf Role Playing group):

How can I make it feel more like roleplaying instead of story-writing?

I'm into solorpg because I see it as story-writing, but with an interactive and not-definite path progression. To make it less like story-writing, embrace the randomness and take what the dice roll.

Which rpg systems do work for you?

I have two campaigns: one with Ryuutama, the other with Scarlet Heroes. I also played Spring (one-fourth of a game) of the Quiet Year. I will be trying different rule sets to see how the algorithms and abstractions affect the dynamics (cause that was something I was looking for in a hobby).

Which oracle systems/solo engines work best for you?

I use Story Cubes, Scarlet Heroes, and the FU system.

Which kind of method for logging?

I have a series of text files for one campaign and a hex map that I color in as I move through hexes. I need to get the information off of the computer and into a notebook. For the other campaign, I write it down on paper, whether as notes on a map or notes in a notebook.

How do you stay motivated?

Make it easy to jump back in to the process. Remind yourself that there are story paths yet to follow. Read other people's stuff.

I'd be interested to know what happens halfway through that makes you lose interest. For example, are you trying to make the stories too long? Could you do haiku and not an epic? Do you get stuck in a specific situation? For example, I need to figure out how to do NPC interactions better. My last session for Ryuutama involved a discussion which I developed using probably the most boring method ever. Although in rereading your posts, it sounds like you 1) feel things are too random and therefore interpreting the results becomes difficult and 2) there only interaction you see is between you and the game engine, as opposed to the characters and other characters or their world.

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:37:22 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

(Repost):

Maybe the fact that you are stumped is actually a sign the scene is over. Take the role of the GM (who is, in actuality, just another player, but with different responsibilities), end the scene and set up a new one. It might explore your PCs dissatisfaction with the lack of resolution of the previous scene, or it might be something else entirely.

This is something where the Mythic GME suggestion to roll vs the Chaos Factor to see if the scene setup stands comes into play to take the control out of your hands, possibly.

In any event, I think one issue might be that you're using systems to resolve story related elements and not game play related challenges. In some games, knocking down a door is a story related element, that is, there's no mechanic for it, and the GM would rule on it - solo, you turn to your oracle. In others, say D&D, it's a mechanic and you engage the game system in the same way a player at a table with a GM does. You roll your d6, check your strength bonus and see if the door opens.

If the game system doesn't provide mechanics for the actions you are taking, then you probably will find yourself doing more story-writing. Maybe one influenced by random generators of various sorts, but story-writing regardless. The solution, I think, is to set up your scenes, many of them at least, with an eye towards challenging your PC in ways that the game system is required for resolution. The same way a GM will prepare a scene for a table of players.

If I want to play a game about a character fighting his personal demons, I could use D&D but it doesn't really support that unless I conceive of the demons as literal monsters to be slain and the character as a fighter. If I want to play D&D, and I want my character to have this inner struggle, then I am better off playing a fighter doing D&D type things, adding the bit about the personal demons, the same way a player at the table does, as role play.

The two aren't in neat compartments mind you. The character might hesitate to slay a ghoul, feeling pity for the human it once was (his personal demons coming into play- the player role playing), and as a result the ghoul seizes the opportunity to attack him (decided by the GM/oracle, influenced by the role-playing/story writing), his hesitation means he loses initiative (game mechanic) and combat ensues with the ghoul going first (all game mechanic)

There the narrative of the PC's inner struggle requires few if any rolls (none of which are part of the game system) and is a bit like story-writing. The ghoul's attack and the ensuing combat are all handled by the game system. This is pretty much the same thing that goes on at most gaming tables and consequently might feel more like playing the game than story-writing.

Obviously, I have a bias towards believing that the game -system you choose to play has an impact on the type of game played; game systems are purpose designed. Yes, you can bang a nail into the wall with the grip of a screwdriver, but a hammer does it with less wasted effort.

Well the second time isn't any more succinct than the first. I hope it makes some sense.

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:37:45 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

(Repost):

If it's getting stuck interpreting some random oracle response, we're here for you! I've found that reading some actual plays, especially in this regard, has been inspirational...seeing how creative others are with interpreting random prompts, it makes me more creative.

Solo RPG Gamer

Oct 12, 2018, 11:38:29 AM10/12/18
to Lone Wolf Roleplaying

(Repost):

"Which rpg systems do work for you (more simulation-oriented like DnD or more abstract-oriented systems like Fate)?"

I think the Rules Lite games are the ones that work best for me. I tend to forget rules along the way, so the less I have to know, the more effective I can be at playing.

"Which oracle systems/solo engines work best for you (Mythic GME/Story Cubes etc.)?"

Covetous Poet is essentially THE story telling system I use... only once. Yeah, it's been a rough patch I'm going through where I decide to stick to other solo engines (they work just as well).

"Which kind of method for logging (online, on paper...)?"

Word is how I log most of my stuff. Though it greatly depends on what it is I'm keeping logs of. I keep most Mythic stuff on a notepad (though I might move to the SWF pretty soon), my sheets are usually presented in the form of Google Docs or a photo graph of the sheet, and my session notes are all on Word.

"How do you stay motivated?"

That... is something I don't know. I guess random twists and turns keep me motivated. You want to see how things develop, since knowing actually stops you from wanting to continue.