RE: [Solar Turbine] Solar Power Generator Review

b...@windwavesandsun.com

Mar 14, 2009, 12:04:58 PM3/14/09
to solar-...@googlegroups.com

This work is better compared to SOPOGY than to Ausra.
I note in the discussion that (Marcin?) asserts the receiver should be the width of the mirrors plus some 11mrads or so of error, while Xiao points out that even a Compact Fresnel design like ausra uses a curved mirror, and thus the receiver is much much smaller than the mirror width.

To curve or not to curve is a fundamental question because every other dimension is based on the method of curving (one cannot curve a 3" piece of flat glass - but one /can/ curve a suitable length of flat glass). The option of molding a curve is I think cost-prohibitive in this context.

Servo motors are quite cheap, one needn't plan on making them from scratch.

Benjamin

Mar 14, 2009, 9:52:26 PM3/14/09
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
Here is some  more news from Xiao:

http://wims.unice.fr/xiao/solar/collector.html

Marcin
Open Source Ecology
http://openfarmtech.org
opensourceecology at gmail dot com
Skype: marcin_ose

Nobody said that building the world's first open source village would be easy.

-- Anonymous, 2009

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-- Robert A. Heinlein