Lubrication in a steam engine

Dec 2, 2008, 6:32:57 PM12/2/08
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
howdy,

In looking for a steam engine/turbine, I was concerned about corrosion and lubrication issues.

Doug, who gave us the run down of his experience with using curved mirrors as reflectors, told me that he had experimented with turbines and piston engines before turning to photo voltaics.  He gave up on the turbines due to their cost.  He gave up on piston engines because they wore out quickly and because they required the lubricating oil to be cleaned out of the condensed water before being re-vaporized.

This article by Abner Doble (of steam car fame) states that lubricating oil does _not_ need to be skimmed off and separated, and is in fact helpful to the boiler in reducing scale buildup.  I do not know why it seems to be common practice to use oil skimmers, but apparently it is unnecessary (perhaps especially in an intermittent use situation).

http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/automo.Html

Also, If cylinder linings are used in anticipation of corrosion, It seems that repair could be relatively simple (just replacing the linings and rings, who cares if the piston head corrodes?).

So, i am less skeptical about finding an engine to suit us.