Project leadership / accountability

Feb 27, 2010, 10:14:05 PM2/27/10
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I know a concern marcin (and others) have in general is accountability over OSE projects.  A headless project with many hands will not create anything.

So, is this a solar turbine revival because someone has committed to seeing through some part of the project?  If we come up with a concept worth testing, is there someone to build and test it?

I see that this endeavour could be broken into many sub-projects, the results of which would be of value on their own, and would also contribute towards the final goal if successful.  for instance:

mirror actuation (and related circuitry)
tracking (sensors or algorithms and circuitry)
primary optics (optimized positioning)
secondary optics (design, materials)
absorber (materials, coatings, insulation)
structure
water feed
process regulation
turbine/engine

These are all inter-related, but also separate.

An organisation from above like this (with individuals heading different sub projects) would distinguish this group from a chat group.

eh?

-elliot

Marcin Jakubowski

Feb 28, 2010, 7:25:54 AM2/28/10
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
Good points on leadership and accountability. Some notes:

1. We are working on a steam engine. We are building a lathe first, the next prototype after this work - http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=1408 . I plan on tapping the wealth of experience from the visit with SACA - http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=1102
General problem statement for modern steam is here under the third project - http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=1586

2. The wiki has all our pages from before, with the subtopics you mention as incomplete pages: http://openfarmtech.org/index.php?title=Category:Solar_Turbine . We can use this immeidiately for designs under discussion.

3. I am reserving the Open Pario (http://openfarmtech.org/weblog/?p=1515) project management site for action once we get to hardware implementations, once there are working designs and prototypes committed.

4. We should be talking to research organization in the business - http://www.mss-csp.info/cms/front_content.php?idcat=12

Marcin

Marcin Jakubowski, Ph.D.
Open Source Ecology
http://openfarmtech.org/weblog
http://www.replab.org
opensourceecology at gmail dot com
Skype: marcin_ose

Nobody said that building the world's first open source village would be easy.

-- Anonymous, 2009

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-- Robert A. Heinlein

NOTICE: All discussion in this communication is in the public domain, unless otherwise noted. If you are sharing proprietary, confidential, or otherwise privileged information, you must make that explicit. Otherwise, this discussion may be copied, republished, and otherwise used in the public domain - respectfully and with proper attribution. Furthermore, please consider that we are not interested in discussion as much as action. Therefore, we are particularly interested in discussion of ideas that both parties can commit to by acting on them.