Fixed Mirror Solar Concentrator (FMSC)

Jul 22, 2009, 6:02:13 PM7/22/09
to solar-...@googlegroups.com
Fixed mirror solar concentrator.  I don't understand how it works.  The line target moves in a circular arc.  I rediscovered this while reading about Compound Parabolic secondary concentrators.  Unfortunately, I could not read any of the appropriate papers, only abstracts, even though I have access to university data bases.  Guess I'll have to hunt down the paper copies.

from Google patents: Patent number: 4071017

Also, a google scholar search of: solar author:"JL Russell"

was very interesting.

The point of what I was reading was that a compound parabolic secondary on the collector tube would make this setup even more effective.  I don't know what became of the Sandia experiments, though in the 80's there was another fixed mirror/moving focus setup tried, with a nonimaging secondary and evacuated tube reciever.  I saw a picture in a book.  I don't know if they did anything else with it.