Does anyone compose music using any of the ports from the/ports/audio

kco...@midsouth.rr.com

Jul 13, 2004, 7:11:04 AM7/13/04
If so what do you use?

What I use is:
Audicity
Rosegarden(I LOVE it!)
SpiralSynth/SPiralLoops/SpiralSynthModular
FreeBirth
Vsound
and depending on my mood soundtracker and cheesetracker

Once I brush up on my C/C++ code I plan on trying out my attempt at
porting some linux audio /midi software to FreeBSD !
FreeBSD is awesome as a music production environment!
However that's just my opinion.
And when i'm under the infulence of certain things my favorite port is
autozen which is found in /usr/ports/audio.
It's nice.!

axel_a...@pop1.scram.de

Jul 13, 2004, 11:31:39 AM7/13/04

I don't share your opinion, because I'm sort of disappointed by
FreeBSD's audio support. I use FreeBSD for all of my daily work, and I
love it, but concerning music production, it's not my first choice. I
read about Rosegarden-4 and it seems to be a real good piece of
software, but it requires ALSA and therefore doesn't run on FreeBSD.
AFAIK it has already been discussed that porting ALSA to FreeBSD seems
to be nearly impossible.

Does anybody know, whether there are any plans or ongoing projects to
create a better sound architecture for FreeBSD than OSS?

Axel

v.v...@vvelox.net

Jul 15, 2004, 1:03:16 PM7/15/04
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 06:13:32 +0000
Kevin Koch <kco...@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

> If so what do you use?
>
> What I use is:
> Audicity
> Rosegarden(I LOVE it!)
> SpiralSynth/SPiralLoops/SpiralSynthModular
> FreeBirth
> Vsound
> and depending on my mood soundtracker and cheesetracker

Check out beast.