Spyware & AD Ware

spi...@act.co.za

Jul 19, 2004, 11:27:00 AM7/19/04
Hi

How do I stop Spyware and AD Ware to enter my network through a FreeBSD
FW or can I stop it on the Cisco ?

Spidey

an...@xecu.net

Jul 19, 2004, 12:12:11 PM7/19/04
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Spidey Knepscheld wrote:

> Hi
>
> How do I stop Spyware and AD Ware to enter my network through a FreeBSD
> FW or can I stop it on the Cisco ?

This is a problem most effectively dealt with at the end-user level.

Andy

---
Andy Dills
Xecunet, Inc.
www.xecu.net
301-682-9972
---

csw...@mac.com

Jul 19, 2004, 12:48:01 PM7/19/04
On Jul 19, 2004, at 11:26 AM, Spidey Knepscheld wrote:
> How do I stop Spyware and AD Ware to enter my network through a FreeBSD
> FW or can I stop it on the Cisco ?

A FreeBSD firewall using a good ruleset will help block spyware and
adware. Using a virus scanner like ClamAV in conjunction with mail and
a WWW proxy server like Squid can also help. A tool like Snort and
related can provide some degree of intrusion-detection capabilities.

All of that being said, how the Windows box is administered and kept
up-to-date, and whether the user of the Windows box is careful, matters
more. Not running Windows at all is by far the best way of avoiding
spyware and adware....

--
-Chuck