Apache - reverse proxy with freebsd

ar...@gerszt.ch

Jul 23, 2004, 3:46:35 PM7/23/04
Hi

Currently I am running a standard setup with NameBased Virtualhosts with
HTTP 1.1 with a couple of Vhosts. Each has the same public IP.

What I would like to do:

- assign each vhosts a unique RFC1918 internal address
- do some nat / reverse proxy magic on the freebsd box (the
webserver itself)
- I want to use the same public IP

Is there a solution for that? What I could not figure out, how the
reverse proxy could distinghish / split up the http 1.1 individual
domains to internal ips.

Thanks for hints,

Arie

m...@x3k6a2.net

Jul 23, 2004, 6:58:59 PM7/23/04
> What I could not figure out, how the
> reverse proxy could distinghish / split up the http 1.1 individual
> domains to internal ips.

As stated in section 14.23 of RFC 2616 (Hypertext Transfer Protocol --
HTTP/1.1)
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2616.html

>A client MUST include a Host header field in all HTTP/1.1 request
> messages

e.g. Host: www.w3.org

With the host information a reverse proxy can transmit the request to
the correct web server.

At least this is how I think it is working, I never really touched a
thing like this.

mfg

Sebastian Steenbuck