Open a user for FTP Access

spi...@act.co.za

Aug 5, 2004, 8:36:12 AM8/5/04
Hi Guys

This is another stupid question from me but I would like to know how do
I give a guy access to his web directory for updates of his www. I know
how to open users but not how to give that user access to ftp to his
directory.

Thank you

Spidey

cor...@aeternal.net

Aug 5, 2004, 8:56:44 AM8/5/04

--3XZQkxCYp0f/VEFS

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 02:35:38PM +0200 or thereabouts, Spidey Knepscheld =
wrote:
> =20

> This is another stupid question from me but I would like to know how do
> I give a guy access to his web directory for updates of his www. I know
> how to open users but not how to give that user access to ftp to his
> directory.

> =20

Stupid questions are only those which we are never about to ask.

You want to give a user access only to his www directory so that he
will not be able to see anything else (other www dirs etc.) just one
with his site? Well you can consider using ProFTPD and chroot that user=20
to his directory.

ProFTPD can be found at:
/usr/ports/ftp/proftpd

Maybe you would like to use mysql to store user data in database, then
you should go for:
/usr/ports/ftp/proftpd-mysql

For sure there are many alternatives out there.

Cheers,

Martin

--=20
Martin Hudec | corwin at aeternal.net
| corwin at web.markiza.sk
http://www.aeternal.net | cell +421 907 303 393

--3XZQkxCYp0f/VEFS

--3XZQkxCYp0f/VEFS--

b...@wjv.com

Aug 5, 2004, 10:42:52 AM8/5/04
Throwing caution to the wind and speaking without thinking about
what was being said on Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 14:35 ,
Spidey Knepscheld blurted this:

> Hi Guys

> This is another stupid question from me but I would like to know
> how do I give a guy access to his web directory for updates of
> his www. I know how to open users but not how to give that user
> access to ftp to his directory.

I do this for all the the web accounts.

I make their home directory the top directory of their
domain. /usr/local/www/data/<domain-name> and then I put
their login name in /etc/ftpchroot.

This way when they ftp they are their own tree and can go nowhere
else. With 1 or 2 exceptions there are no shell accounts on the
server, and the only thing the domain users can do is to ftp in/out
of their domain.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com