Re: training (was Resourceful BSD/Linux

brad.k...@skynet.be

Jul 5, 2004, 1:03:38 PM7/5/04
At 10:45 AM +0000 2004-07-05, Brandon Joseph Adams wrote:

> From experience, setting a FreeBSD box on the internet without any clue as
> to what was going on, there are more than enough people willing to break
> your box for you that'll leave you with a mess to clean up. I'm not trying
> to be funny, this is the truth.

That's a different class of problem. As a system admin, you're
going to be responsible for fixing not only those very few systems
which have been compromised by external attackers, but also the > 90%
break-ins which have come from inside personnel exceeding their
authorized level of access, as well as the machines which have been
munged because you (or one of your co-workers) fat-fingered something.

Just leaving an open box on the 'net and trying to fix whatever
comes up is a very poor way to try to learn about all those other
classes of problems.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.k...@skynet.be>

Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755