Resuming Chernivsti archives research

Avraham

Nov 14, 2021, 2:03:20 PM11/14/21
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
following the recent joining of several new members to the group, I tried again re-establishing contact with Chernivsti's Chabad branch in order to find someone interested in helping us by visiting Chernivtsi's archive and copying/transcribing additional documents pertaining to Secureni to the group.

I apologize this topic already popped up in the past a few times and ultimately did not progress - the communication with our Chernvitsi's concat would eventually stop/get stuck.

Now that Chernivitsi's Chabad Rabbi provided me a new contact (who by the way is a historian), and we have already consistently exchanged a couple of emails in the past days, he asked me to go further and determine which document(s) we want to get in the next visit/project.

To refresh the memory of those who do not recall - or to keep new members up to date on the developments:

Around 2010 the contact we hired back than compiled a list of documents he found at the archive with mentions to Secureni. The list is maintained here.
Me and Sergei (the new contact) are already discussing price, so I believe we should be getting ready to start soon.
Therefore, I prepared a Google Survey listing all the docs mentioned above for you to pick the 3 you find most relevant/interesting to the research - docs for which you would be willing most to contribute in funding the work.
Here is the survey link:
====================> https://forms.gle/Ne4SEBF8HPpXchvS7   <=======================
Please do not select  more than 3 options (I did not find a straightforward way of limiting this, other than installing add-ons and so... I opted then to rely on you :-)

I will share the survey results in the coming days, and let you know when I have the costs for the job (by the way he already mentioned that the trip costs are out of question since he lives there (at least this is what I understood... - so I want to think part of the objective in finding a new contact to research the archive for us - is already accomplished) - and we are ready to go.

Even though I do not have the costs for the job yet, I included in the survey a question inquiring how much each of you would be willing to contribute so we have an idea of how close/far are we from the goal.
Feel free to make remarks or add anything you find relevant I have missed.

Regards,
Avraham

Avraham

Nov 23, 2021, 3:59:02 AM11/23/21
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi all, our contact has replied with his cost requirements, which I am pasting below:

1 hour of search work - USD 10;
Photo of one file (including all pages in it) - USD 50.
All official fees and transport costs are on my own.

I am pleased with his offer, don't think we can achieve something better.

Unless any of you has any objections, let us move on on how to proceed from here:
Although the number of responses to the survey on which docs to research was lower than what I expected (in the past I think we had a higher participation rate), the amount of money those who are interested to contribute seem to cover way more than 3 docs, considering one doc would cost $50.

Below I paste the survey result regarding which docs to research:
image.png
So the 3 docs we would obtain in this research round would be:
  • Birth, marriage and death records about the community

  • Secureni population registration books

  • List of Holocaust victims

A doc costing U$ 50, we require funding U$ 150 for this round.
What is the best way to perform the payment ? I am not much familiar in this realm. I personally have a PayPal account which I opened for payments for freelance jobs as a programmer years ago. I assume PayPal can be used to transfer money to one account to another. I have no familiarity whatsoever with mobile apps in the field, that may use BitCoin or other stuff. If any of you have something to say about this - please do.

- This will cost us U$ 150
- We need to determine the payment method. I would go with PayPal, unless you think we should not.

Regards,
Avraham

Avraham

Nov 23, 2021, 5:36:06 AM11/23/21
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
FYI, 2 additional answers I got on 2 late questions I posed:

Final questions:
1. All docs / photographs /copies - are all going to be available on the sam day you visit the archive ? If not, when ? Answer: The same day, or maximum in 2 days from the visit;
2. What is the media / way we are going to receive the desired material ? Are you planning to share with us using your Google Driver or something alike ? Answer: Google Driver or other way decide.