Re: [SJR: msg #1880] Digest for sokiryany-jewish-roots@googlegroups.com - 1 update in 1 topic

Elana Goldstein

Jan 16, 2021, 10:54:01 AM1/16/21
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know there were censuses available online from the 1830's and 1840's. My great great grandparents would have been living in Sokiryany at that time. Family names include Handleman, Andleman, Gandleman and Roseman. Is it possible to find translations of the Russian writing anywhere?

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 9:26 AM <sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Jeremiah Wilton <jcwil...@earlham.edu>: Jan 15 07:14PM -0800

Hello Sokiryany researchers,

I'm an amateur genealogist in Seattle helping a friend with their family
history research.

Has anyone made use of the Khotin Uyezd census 1835-1880 on FamilySearch?
It seems this would include Sokiryany, right? Does anyone understand how it
is organized?

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/1231977

Besides that, what are the principal pre-1910 record sets available for
Sokiryany? It looks like this group has had some records photographed in
the past, but the dropbox links no longer work.

I'm specifically looking for records of the Machlach and Ackerman families
from Sokiryany. Lieb Machlach, son of Shlomo and Masha, born abt. 1885 in
Sokiryany took the name Louis Ackerman after coming to the United States in
1908.

I'm very happy to translate any Yiddish documents, letters or postcards
members of this group may have.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

AT

Jan 16, 2021, 11:38:43 AM1/16/21
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
In  Russian it was Гандельман  and  Ройзман.
But the problem is sources in Russian, mostly written by hand.

Best,
Avraham

For any issues or further assistance, don't hesitate to contact the group's administrator at 435....@gmail.com

Good luck for everyone of us in our quests for tracing back stories we did not ask to be forgotten.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sokiryany Jewish Roots" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sokiryany-jewish-roots/CALG_EEmvv0TD1r8Ek5t6D%3DeCizbZ_HuUD%2BM5ke_sqAWJ1dcrvw%40mail.gmail.com.

Avraham

Jan 18, 2021, 3:58:08 AM1/18/21
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Jeremiah, thanks for joining us and thanks for sharing this valuable information on the spot !
I found the collection shared by Jeremiah interesting. I am not sure if this one specifically may be of our interest, but it opens up possibilities regarding FamilySearch online material available online.
To start with, not everything is handwritten. For example: The first document I stumbled upon in the Bessarabian collection consists of a collection of scans like the one below:
Translating typewriter texts is a simple matter, even for non Russian speaking folks, like me. I did that for Polish Vital records years ago in my researches. Given the document format is fixed, all one has to do is - use any online virtual russian keyboard , use a translator, and apply a reasonable amount of perseverance - in order to figure out the proper translations, given the contexts (I would usually play with Google translator with single words instead of sentences - and go over all the possibilities to at the end come up with my guess - this sounds too much work, but it's something that needs to be done once for an entire collection like this).
After translating the typewriter words, we are left with the handwritten script. Fields like name and surnames are easier to guess.

Another alternative - of course - is simply to hire someone to do the job - we ourselves - just like we did by hiring someone to visit the archives. Actually this may be better, because we are rid of the travel expenses and also from the copyright nuances etc.

image.png

Avraham

Jan 18, 2021, 4:01:27 AM1/18/21
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
The link to the bessarabian collection:

I think I already shared, but whenever coming across sites in different languages - with typewriter text (not images) - one can get the idea of the contents by using