Gerschenhorn/Herschenhorn Questions

Susan Kugler

Jul 15, 2014, 1:45:03 PM7/15/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Hello.  I have been spending time on genealogy to find the spot that my great grandfather Samuel Hershenhorn came from.  I believe it might be Sokiryany.  Based on some of this files from this group, I do see this name.  (Jews with romanian citizenship, 1918).

The following ship manifests from June 1900 contains the following passengers - who resided in a town called Sukuron.

Schaje Gerschenhorn age 28
Malke Gerschenhorn age 25
Itte age 3
Abraham 11 m and
Feiwel 2 months.

Schaje (Samuel) was from a larger family with parents and many siblings that also came over.  Malke was not Itte's mother - but we're not sure who was.

His father born in 1836 (english name Ruben) and mother (Udel) born in 1846. I have found Udel's passage - in which she says she came from Naswalen, with her son Mechel.

Another son/brother of Samuel - Srul says he came from Nowasczeco or Nowasceze.  I have come to think that this town is Nowauschitza or Nova Ushitsa - which is close to the name Nursheskva - a spelling of the town my mother had written long ago.

Sam's siblings were Cirel (Srul), Yidel (Jacob), Ann, Sarah, Hyman Rose and Mechel.

Later on in life, Abraham (Joseph Abraham) put on US Army forms that he was from Warsaw - and Rose later said she was from Poland.  Previous, everyone had said they were from Russia.  This makes sense to me too.

So I think this all comes together that the family was from this area - and moved around, I am guessing - but if anyone were to have any insights it would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Harold Morgan MD

Jul 15, 2014, 6:29:26 PM7/15/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
sorry    cant be of any assistance     harold c, morgan md
my family came from Sokoryany  about t 1906  to 1916
  our family name was  Morgenschtern and they settled in Pittsburgh and Boston -

For any issues or further assistance, don't hesitate to contact the group's administrator at 435....@gmail.com

Good luck for everyone of us in our quests for tracing back stories we did not ask to be forgotten.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sokiryany Jewish Roots" group.

Carla Brauer-Lalezari

Jul 15, 2014, 7:56:47 PM7/15/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for your wonderful work. I was almost sure you were talking about my family, my grandfather Samuel, his brother Srul, but the other names are not part of my family. I'll keep following your emails. Who knows my family will show up.
Carla

For any issues or further assistance, don't hesitate to contact the group's administrator at 435....@gmail.com

Good luck for everyone of us in our quests for tracing back stories we did not ask to be forgotten.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Sokiryany Jewish Roots" group.

Carla Brauer- Lalezari
Many people asked me why I became vegetarian. This is my reply: it was either my appetite or the animals life. I chose their life. - Carla Brauer-Lalezari

"Atrocities are no less atrocities when they occur in laboratories and are called research". - George Bernard Shaw

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated"

Mark Stern

Jul 15, 2014, 8:08:08 PM7/15/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Susan -

My grandfather sailed to New York in 1895. He too grew up in what he called "Sukoron" (which everyone now says is Sokiryani). He was born in 1879 - his father was Haskel Schoolnik. Mother's maiden name was Schima Ochsenshtein. Grandpa used the name Aaron School. I have heard there are Schkulniks in Brazil who are known to have come from Sukoron. I have not had time to dig into the family genealogy - will do so when I finish a book I am writing. Those two grandparents may have been close enough in age to know each other. Digging out some documents will help all of us. Keep at it.

Best wishes,

Mark Stern

Susan Kugler

Jul 16, 2014, 5:56:04 PM7/16/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply. I will probably dig around some more to find Sukoron data.

Susan Kugler

Jul 16, 2014, 5:56:59 PM7/16/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply.  I am going to dig around more for Sukoron info.

Carla Brauer-Lalezari

Jul 16, 2014, 10:12:18 PM7/16/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
My family comes from Sucoron. Their names are in Potuguese Mauricio Fichman. His wife Chaika Fichman. Their children are: Jose ( in Portuguese), Noemia, Reveca, Srul,Smiel Fichman. These went to Brasil. Started in Recife and then to São Paulo. There is one who came to the US, but my mom does not know the name of her American uncle. I'll try to find out. I don't have the dates they came to Brazil.
Will try to find out.
Thanks for the hard and wonderful work.
Carla

Mark Stern

Jul 16, 2014, 11:35:16 PM7/16/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Carla -

Can you put a date on their move to Brasil?

Mark

Susan Kugler

Jul 17, 2014, 9:23:28 AM7/17/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Oddly enough I have seen Sukoron elsewhere in my searches.  Maybe towards the fall I can accumulate the records somehow.  I was glad I had seen it because I wasn't sure if it was just some clerks random interpretation of what he heard.  Having achieved what I was working towards Iam imposing a break on myself til after my sons wedding in September.  Interesting your family went to Brasil.  That must be an interesting story!

Carla Brauer-Lalezari

Jul 17, 2014, 11:27:39 AM7/17/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

Unfortunately I do not have the date they moved to Brazil.
I will try to find it, but it is unlikely that I will have this information.
Carla

Carla Brauer-Lalezari

Jul 17, 2014, 11:35:55 AM7/17/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Susan, it would be great if you can find documentation of Sucoron. I asked my aunt who has more info than I to provide me with anything she knows.
Once again, thank you very much,
Carla

On Thursday, July 17, 2014, Susan Kugler <mama...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oddly enough I have seen Sukoron elsewhere in my searches.  Maybe towards the fall I can accumulate the records somehow.  I was glad I had seen it because I wasn't sure if it was just some clerks random interpretation of what he heard.  Having achieved what I was working towards Iam imposing a break on myself til after my sons wedding in September.  Interesting your family went to Brasil.  That must be an interesting story!

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014, Carla Brauer-Lalezari <cblal...@gmail.com> wrote:
My family comes from Sucoron. Their names are in Potuguese Mauricio Fichman. His wife Chaika Fichman. Their children are: Jose ( in Portuguese), Noemia, Reveca, Srul,Smiel Fichman. These went to Brasil. Started in Recife and then to São Paulo. There is one who came to e the US, but my mom does not know the name of her American uncle. I'll try to find out. I don't have the dates they came to Brazil.

Fábio Koifman

Jul 17, 2014, 2:09:04 PM7/17/14
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Olá, To search for entries in Brazil subsequent to 1939 and entry and residence in the United States recommend the link below:

Boa sorte!

Com um abraço, Fábio.
O conteudo deste e-mail eh pessoal e privado. Caso deseje encaminhar copias a outro destinatario, por favor, consulte Fabio Koifman a esse respeito.

Madelon Mottet

Apr 3, 2016, 6:31:13 AM4/3/16
to Sokiryany Jewish Roots
My grandmother (Rebecca (Pyle) Naschikofsky born 1876) and two daughters (born 1896 and 1900) are from Sokoran and immigrated to New York in 1907. The surname Naschikofsky (any many variants) refers to a Ukrainian village. About 1820 people were required to acquire a surname, and many people took the name of their village. The name means "of Nosikovka", or Nosikivka in Ukrainian, a village in Vinnitsa area. It is close to the northern border of Moldovia, and is quite close to Sokoran.

Your comment that Srul comes from Nowasczeco or Nowasceze makes me think that they are referring to the nearby village of Nosikovka.

Samuel is a name that also appears in my family tree.

Madelon Mottet (madelon.mottet@  gmail.com)

Susan Kugler

Apr 3, 2016, 9:33:47 AM4/3/16
to sokiryany-j...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your reply.

I just went back to some notes from a Hershenhorn "cousin" working on the same tree.  He says his grandfather did a sort of memoir and it said this - "In about 1890 in the small shetel of Naslavtcha outside of Kishinev Moldova which was in the larger region of Bessarabia and was in either Russia or Romania at the time."

I did some more searches of the towns in Jewishgen - and didn't come up with anything using your spelling or the cousin's spelling, but I did come up with these records using a "sounds like" search of towns.  Interestingly, the middle one below corresponds to a handwritten note my mother had on a scrap of paper, but her's was with an N.  I think I am getting in the ball park of where they came from.  I found some Gershengorns in Jewishgen that are born in Kishinev, that seem to be good candidates for being ancestors.  I think I have my eyes on the right area but it may be that I never find them for sure.

Nasocovca  - Marshevke - Miaskovka

kimhershorn

Feb 12, 2021, 12:35:01 PM2/12/21
to Sokiryany Jewish Roots
Did you ever find more information on these names? This is my grandfather’s name. He and his family went to Montreal in the 1920s. I think his father’s name was Benny and mother Gittel. B. 1871 and 1878. Perhaps they were cousins? Where did your Sam emigrate to? I’m going to Sokiryany soon, by the way (don’t ask, I know, it’s a weird time.)... Let me know if you know where I could find out more about this name, and I could also pass on any info to you. Including from cemetery, if I see anything.
Warm wishes, Kim