a new phase for the WG-PSS

Raphael.Vis...@csiro.au

Jul 10, 2014, 11:24:38 PM7/10/14
to Raphael.Vis...@csiro.au, viachesla...@mcgill.ca

Dear colleagues and members of the IUSS Working Group on Proximal Soil Sensing,

The 20th World Congress of Soil Science marked the end of our term as chairman and vice chairman of the working group.

Slava and I thank you for your support during the past four and a bit years. We appreciated your enthusiasm and willingness to contribute  to and participate in the group’s activities.

With your support, we kept the working group ‘buzzing’ along nicely as we helped to organise the biennial working group workshops and sessions in other meetings, to prepare a number of publications on proximal soil sensing and to keep the working group website going (a special thanks to Craig Lobsey who has been the webmaster for the site).  Since its inception, ours has been one of the more active working groups in the IUSS. Thank you for that!

You will no doubt recall that we held a ballot last year to elect the incoming chairman and vice chairman for the period 2014–2018. From three candidates for chairman and two for vice chairman, Marc van Meirvenne and Robin Gebbers were elected to fill the roles, respectively.

It is our pleasure to introduce them to you as the new leaders of the working group. Please join me in congratulating them both. We look forward to working with them in the coming years, and I hope that you will support them as much as you did us.

You might also remember the ballot to elect the location for the 4th Global Workshop on Proximal Soil Sensing. We received proposals from the USA, Sri Lanka and China. After votes were counted, China won and so our next meeting will be held in Hangzhou, China, on 12–15 May 2015. See www.proximalsoilsensing.org for some details, or contact the local organising committee, headed by Prof. Zhou Shi (shi...@zju.edu.cn). We hope to see you there!

With that, Slava and I thank you all once more, and we look forward to participating with you in the activities of this collegial community that is the working group, and to contributing to the exciting and growing field of proximal soil sensing.

All the very best,

Raphael and Slava.

Raphael VISCARRA ROSSEL | Principal Research Scientist | CSIRO Land and Water | Bruce E. Butler Laboratory, Clunies Ross St, Black Mountain, Acton ACT 2601 | PO BOX 1666 Canberra ACT 2600 | t. +61 2 6246 5945 | m. +61 467 769 364 | Chair International Union of Soil Science Working Group on Proximal Soil Sensing | www.researcherid.com/rid/B-4061-2011 | scholar.google.com.au/citations?hl=en&user=KpJdvKEAAAAJ