New review article

Bo Stenberg

Aug 11, 2010, 9:05:39 AM8/11/10
to The Soil Spectroscopy Group
Dear colleagues,
For your information there is a smoking fresh review paper on vis-NIR
spectroscopy in soil science in Advances in Agronomy (for a little
while longer only electronically; abstract last in this mail):

Stenberg, B., Viscarra Rossel, R.A., Mouazen, A.M. and Wetterlind, J.,
2010. Visible and Near Infrared Spectroscopy in Soil Science. In: L.S.
Donald (Editor), Advances in Agronomy. Academic Press, pp. 163-215.

It can be downloaded as a pdf-file from Science Direct vi doi:

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2113(10)07005-7

or directly (in one line) from:

http://198.81.200.2/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B7CSX-50HVVP2-9&_user=651610&_coverDate=12%2F31%2F2010&_rdoc=9&_fmt=high&_orig=browse&_srch=doc-info(%23toc%2318034%232010%23998929999%232211786%23FLA%23display%23Volume)&_cdi=18034&_sort=d&_docanchor=&_ct=10&_acct=C000035238&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=651610&md5=76fb4129136b4e6f439786e00b6b94f8#aff2

If you don't get access to the pdf send me an e-mail and I'll mail you
a copy.

Best whishes
Bo Stenberg
bo.st...@mark.slu.se

ABSTRACT
This chapter provides a review on the state of soil visible-near
infrared (vis-NIR) spectroscopy. Our intention is for the review to
serve as a source of up-to-date information on the past and current
role of vis-NIR spectroscopy in soil science. It should also provide
critical discussion on issues surrounding the use of vis-NIR for soil
analysis and on future directions. To this end, we describe the
fundamentals of visible and infrared diffuse reflectance spectroscopy
and spectroscopic multivariate calibrations. A review of the past and
current role of vis-NIR spectroscopy in soil analysis is provided,
focusing on important soil attributes such as soil organic matter
(SOM), minerals, texture, nutrients, water, pH, and heavy metals. We
then discuss the performance and generalization capacity of vis-NIR
calibrations, with particular attention on sample pretratments,
covariations in data sets, and mathematical data preprocessing. Field
analyses and strategies for the practical use of vis-NIR are
considered. We conclude that the technique is useful to measure soil
water and mineral composition and to derive robust calibrations for
SOM and clay content. Many studies show that we also can predict
properties such as pH and nutrients, although their robustness may be
questioned. For future work we recommend that research should focus
on: (i) moving forward with more theoretical calibrations, (ii) better
understanding of the complexity of soil and the physical basis for
soil reflection, and (iii) applications and the use of spectra for
soil mapping and monitoring, and for making inferences about soils
quality, fertility and function. To do this, research in soil
spectroscopy needs to be more collaborative and strategic. The
development of the Global Soil Spectral Library might be a step in the
right direction.

Carolyn Hedley

Aug 12, 2010, 6:31:23 AM8/12/10
to soil-spe...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bo
Good to speak briefly with you in Brisbane last week.
Could you send me a copy of your review paper - I will be very interested to read it.
Regards
Carolyn

Carolyn Hedley
Soil Scientist | Project Leader – Soils and Landscapes/Global Change Processes
Landcare Research New Zealand Ltd
Private Bag 11052, Manawatu Mail Centre, Palmerston North 4442, NZ
Riddet Rd, Massey University Campus, Palmerston North 4474, NZ
DDI +64 6 353 4904 | FAX: +64 6 353 4801
www

Aug 12, 2010, 6:49:26 AM8/12/10
to soil-spe...@googlegroups.com
Hello!
I think this is a good idea Bo. Lets use this to inform the group on new publications, methods, ideas, softwares, etc.!

So, here are a couple of other publications:

1. The recent special issue of Geoderma on 'Diffuse reflectance spectroscopy in soil science and land resource assessment' published 15 August 2010 in Volume 158, Issues 1-2, Pages 1-100

2. A book on Proximal Soil Sensing that has a section on soil spectroscopy. http://www.springer.com/environment/soil+science/book/978-90-481-8858-1
This book reports on developments in Proximal Soil Sensing (PSS) and high resolution digital soil mapping. PSS has become a multidisciplinary area of study that aims to develop field-based techniques for collecting information on the soil from close by, or within, the soil. Amongst others, PSS involves the use of optical, geophysical, electrochemical, mathematical and statistical methods. This volume, suitable for undergraduate course material and postgraduate research, brings together ideas and examples from those developing and using proximal sensors and high resolution digital soil maps for applications such as precision agriculture, soil contamination, archaeology, peri-urban design and high land-value applications, where there is a particular need for high spatial resolution information. The book in particular covers soil sensor sampling, proximal soil sensor development and use, sensor calibrations, prediction methods for large data sets, applications of proximal soil sensing, and high-resolution digital soil mapping.
Key themes: soil sensor sampling – soil sensor calibrations – spatial prediction methods – reflectance spectroscopy – electromagnetic induction and electrical resistivity – radar and gamma radiometrics – multi-sensor platforms – high resolution digital soil mapping - applications

Best wishes

Raphael

Raphael VISCARRA ROSSEL  | Soil & Landscape Science |Pedometrics - Proximal Soil Sensing | CSIRO Land & Water Bruce E. Butler Laboratory | Clunies-Ross St Black Mountain | PO Box 1666 | Canberra ACT 2600 | t. +61 2 6246 5945 | m. +61 413 326 457 | e. raphael.vis...@csiro.auwww.csiro.au/people/Raphael.Viscarra-Rossel.html

Message has been deleted

Bernard Barthes

Aug 16, 2010, 5:09:15 AM8/16/10
to soil-spe...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody !

We have also interesting papers, here attached, that deserve your attention:

Brunet D., Woignier T., Lesueur-Jannoyer M., Achard R., Rangon L., Barthès B.G., 2009. Determination of soil content in chlordecone (organochlorine pesticide) using near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS). Environmental Pollution 157: 3120-312.

Barthès B.G., Brunet D., Brauman A., Fromin N., Lensi R., Volant A., Laclau J.P., Blavet D., Chapuis-Lardy L., 2010. Determination of potential denitrification in a range of tropical topsoils using near infrared reflectance spectroscopy (NIRS). Applied Soil Ecology, in press.

Regards,

Bernard BARTHES
Brunet09_EnvPoll_NIRS chlordecone.pdf
Barth�s10_ASE_NIRS d�nit pot_CorrectedProofs.pdf