Fwd: Invitation to co-sign open letter on Brazil's water crisis

Alessandro Samuel Rosa

Nov 17, 2021, 9:48:56 AM11/17/21
to pedometria, soil-m...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

In view of another water crisis that is hitting Brazil, Drs. Libonati, Cataldi, Ottoni and I would like to invite you to be a co-signatory to a comment that will be published in Nature (https://www.nature.com) within ~2 weeks.

In the comment, we argue that the current situation is the result of historical poor governance and little environmental awareness that culminate in water crises in the world's richest country in water resources. We also propose mitigation plan so that future droughts, which will certainly come, do not turn into nationwide water crises. We would like this comment to serve as an open letter to the Brazilian scientific community, as well as to decision makers and society.

This invitation aims to build a list of dozens of supporters in order to increase the impact of this letter. Several of you have already accepted the invitation even before reading the final version of the text (see attached), with the conviction that this movement will contribute to the improvement of poor environmental and water conditions in which the country currently finds itself.

If you are interested in participating in the list, please send your names and affiliations to <augusto....@nasa.gov>.

This invitation is open to the entire Brazilian and international scientific community interested in water, climate and environmental aspects and who believe that there is an urgent need for changes in the management of these resources in Brazil. Therefore, we ask you to forward this invitation with your collaboration networks. The list of co-signatories will be sent to Nature editors on November 19th. We count on everyone's contribution!

Yours sincerely,

Augusto Getirana, Renata Libonati, Marcio Cataldi and Marta Ottoni

getirana_etal_2021_brazil_water_crisis.pdf