Fwd: [COMFOOD: ] šŸ“£Farm Bill Action Alert! Take Action Today! šŸ“£ā˜Žļøāœļø

Seth Itzkan

May 22, 2024, 10:12:53ā€ÆPMMay 22
to Soil Age

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Hugh Joseph <Hugh....@tufts.edu>
Date: Wed, May 22, 2024 at 9:54ā€ÆPM
Subject: [COMFOOD: ] šŸ“£Farm Bill Action Alert! Take Action Today! šŸ“£ā˜Žļøāœļø
To: Comfood <com...@elist.tufts.edu>

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Susan Lightfoot Schempf <fsln...@winrock.org>
Date: Wed, May 22, 2024, 6:14 PM
To: Cristina Cabrera <ccab...@tidescenter.org>

b6149330-97d0-4d0b-9e66-ef21e1b87c65.png
b0b1b03d-1ac6-46ec-9982-52821cf621f1.png

Farm Bill Action Alert!

Ā šŸ“žĀ Ā Ā Take Action Today!Ā  Ā šŸ“ž

The House Agriculture Committee votes tomorrow on its version of the 2024 Farm Bill. Unfortunately, the proposed bill leaves behind the farmers and communities that we collectively serve.Ā Ā

Tell your Representative to vote NO!Ā

If your Representative is on the House Agriculture Committee, it is absolutely essential that you call and email them TODAY and TOMORROW to tell them to vote "no" on the House farm bill.

Find out if your Rep is on the House Ag Committee + their phone number atĀ govtrack.us

The proposed House farm bill:Ā

  • Fails to fix the flawed farm safety net or fully support diversified, beginning, and smaller-scale farmers.Ā

  • Encourages consolidation in the industry rather than diversity and fair competition for family farms.Ā

  • Takes a massive step backwards by making it harder for farmers to adopt climate-friendly growing practices.Ā

  • Effectively cuts Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) funding, further burdening the millions of families struggling with hunger.

Now is the time to demand better for our farmers and communities.

Take a moment TODAY to call your representative and tell them why they must vote ā€œnoā€ on the House farm bill.Ā Click here to find their phone number.Ā  No time to call?Ā Ā Use NSAC'sĀ action portalĀ to send an email.

Your representative needs to hear from you: the more lawmakers who publicly oppose this harmful bill, the easier it will be to clear a path for a better bill that actually serves all farmers and communities.Ā

Suggested Call Script

ā€œHello, My name is _______________(your name) and I am a ______________ (farmer, producer, constituent) in Rep. _________________ (Your Representativeā€™s name)ā€™s district.

ā€œI am calling today because I have concerns about the draft farm bill the House Agriculture Committee is voting on Thursday and strongly oppose this bill. It fails to improve the farm safety net for small and diversified farmers, fails to strengthen local food supply chains, cuts funding for nutrition programs over the long term, and shifts funds from climate friendly agricultural practices. [NSAC MEMBERS: you may wish to customize this a bit for your audience/issues!]

ā€œAs a member of the House Agriculture Committee, we urge you to vote no on the draft farm bill in committee tomorrow.ā€

ā€œThank you for taking the time to take my call.ā€

Suggested Email Script

Dear Representative [Last Name],Ā

I have concerns about the draft farm bill the House Agriculture Committee is voting on Thursday and strongly oppose this bill. It fails to improve the farm safety net for small and diversified farmers, fails to strengthen local food supply chains, cuts funding for nutrition programs over the long term, and shifts funds from climate friendly agricultural practices.Ā

This farm bill is a pivotal opportunity to reshape the way our countryā€™s food system operates. We can do better for small and mid sized farms and consumers alike. As a member of the House Agriculture Committee, I urge you to vote no on the draft farm bill in committee tomorrow.

Thank you for your time,

We'll continue to share updates as we get more information. Thanks y'all!Ā
The Food Systems Leadership NetworkĀ Ā is a national peer learning community that connects current and emerging leaders, strengthens individual and collective leadership capacity, and fosters collaboration across communities.Ā The goal of the network is to accelerate the realization of a just, equitable, and sustainable food system that generates good food, health, and opportunity for all.Ā
Learn More
Facebook.png
Twitter.png
Link.png
Website.png
YouTube.png
4d3b787d-6d44-37a0-bb99-e1709deba2f3.png
Copyright Ā© 2023 Wallace Center at Winrock International, All rights reserved.Ā

Our mailing address is:
325 W Capitol, Suite 350, Little Rock, AR 72201
and
2451 Crystal Drive, Suite 700, Arlington, VA 22202

--Ā
PleĀ

** NO FUNDRAISING or 'vote for our project' solicitations.Ā
** COMFOOD POSTING GUIDELINES:Ā  https://tufts.box.com/s/auzp7kmnx83ek5tda4p3
** SUBSCRIBE TO COMFOOD:Ā  Ā  https://elist.tufts.edu/wws/sigrequest/comfood

Seth J. Itzkan

Cofounder, Soil4Climate Inc.
Join the global movement of scientists, practitioners, and engaged citizens working to make soil a climate solution
WebĀ |Ā FacebookĀ |Ā TwitterĀ |Ā InstagramĀ | Linktr.eeĀ