Fwd: Updated Soil4Climate Science Compendium - Hope Below Our Feet

Seth Itzkan

May 4, 2021, 11:45:12 AM5/4/21
to Comfood, Soil Age
Fyi

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Seth Itzkan <seth....@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, May 3, 2021 at 6:03 PM
Subject: Updated Soil4Climate Science Compendium - Hope Below Our Feet

Soil4Climate is happy to announce our updated science compendium of peer-reviewed papers showing the potential of well-managed grazing as a practice for nature-positive protein production and climate change mitigation.

The findings are revealed through indicators such as improved soil carbon, soil nitrogen, and water retention. This update includes new studies by Rowntree, Mosier, Spratt, and Wang. Particularly exciting is Rowntree et al. 2020, Ecosystem Impacts and Productive Capacity of a Multi-Species Pastured Livestock System. This did a 20 year assessment of "holistic planned grazing" at White Oak Pastures farm in Clay County, Georgia, USA. It found an average soil C drawdown of 2.29 Mg/ha/yr or 0.92 tC/ac/yr. Teague et al. 2016, The role of ruminants in reducing agriculture's carbon footprint in North America, showed 3tC/ha/yr or 1.2 tonnes C/ac/yr. He also shows that a combination of conservation cropping and Adaptive Multi-paddock (AMP) grazing could sequester 1.2 GtC/yr in North America. For context, this equates to 66% of US annual emissions. EPA inventory, here.

With this update, we've also added key figures from select papers. This should be considered a living document, and we will continue to make improvements.

Please feel free to review and share your thoughts.

Best regards,

- Seth

Soil4Climate Science Compendium
Hope Below Our Feet: Peer-Reviewed Publications on Well-Managed Grazing as a Means of Improving Rangeland Ecology, Increasing Soil Carbon, and Mitigating Global Warming

image.png

--
Seth J. Itzkan
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
Seth J. Itzkan
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
Join the global movement of scientists, practitioners, and engaged citizens working to make soil a climate solution
soil4climate.org | soil4climate.org/donate
facebook.com/groups/soil4climate
twitter.com/soil4climate | instagram.com/soil4climate/

Rick Holland

May 5, 2021, 5:39:36 PM5/5/21
to soil...@googlegroups.com, karl.th...@gmail.com
Hey Seth, I just tried sending you a message and it bounced back. Karl, I got your email from the "soil-age" group.I'm going to try and resend...

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---