Regenerating wetlands reduces GHG emissions

Tom Goreau

Aug 12, 2022, 9:28:00 AM8/12/22
to soil-age

Yet another way that regenerative land management can turn GHG sources into sinks. Flooding of wetland soils reduces CO2 and N2O emissions much more than it increases methane, regenerating wetlands increases natural carbon sinks and suppresses GHG sources caused by drainage.

This confirms 1980s studies on GHG emissions in the Everglades:

T. J. Goreau & W. Z. de Mello, 2002, Nitrous oxide, methane, and carbon dioxide fluxes from South Florida habitats during the transition from dry to wet seasons: Potential impacts of Everglades drainage and reflooding on the atmosphere, p. 281-306 in The Everglades, Florida Bay, and The Coral Reefs of the Florida Keys: An Ecosystem Sourcebook (K. G. Porter and J. W. Porter, Eds.), CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida

Seth Itzkan

Aug 12, 2022, 9:32:56 AM8/12/22
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom.

Here’s the link.

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/
---

Cofounder, Soil4Climate Inc.
Join the global movement of scientists, practitioners, and engaged citizens working to make soil a climate solution
soil4climate.org | soil4climate.org/donate
facebook.com/groups/soil4climate
twitter.com/soil4climate | instagram.com/soil4climate/

David Yarrow

Oct 23, 2022, 7:59:57 PM10/23/22
to soil...@googlegroups.com
The Soil Carbon Sink
Rockbridge Conservation Society in Shenandoah VA asked me to talk on Sept. 21 about my project to create a Soil Carbon Sink, so I went back to work on my slide show.  In early Feb. I had made a simple slide show for the MO Organic conference, but never presented it.  The VA invite motivated me to upgrade that beginning, and was my first attempt to talk thru the slides.  Animated illustrations are on my googledrive:

download & run 53 megabyte .ppsx file

file has complex animations that require MS Powerpoint to properly run & view

In particular, I added several complex slides at the end on the White Carbon Cascade to elaborate insights & improve understanding of phase 2 of the Soil Carbon Engine – how green carbon from photosynthesis in leaves becomes finely structured micro-carbon underground. Saved as a separate file:
White Carbon Cascade
13 megabytes

~ david yarrow

Seth Itzkan

Oct 23, 2022, 11:16:45 PM10/23/22
to soil...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for sharing David. Greatly appreciated. 🙏🏼

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "soil-age" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/soil-age/72C9161C-E5F0-4431-BC6C-27FE5EB50699%40gmail.com.

Tom Goreau

Oct 24, 2022, 8:49:35 AM10/24/22
to dyar...@gmail.com, soil...@googlegroups.com

Dear David,

Thanks for this masterpiece presentation integrating all aspects of soil fertility!

Best wishes,

Tom

Joanna Campe

Oct 24, 2022, 11:33:45 AM10/24/22
to soil...@googlegroups.com, dyar...@gmail.com
Thank you for sharing, David!

Best wishes,

Joanna
Joanna Campe
Executive Director
Remineralize the Earth
152 South Street
Northampton, MA 01060 USA

Tel: 413-563-9938
For Google docs: joanna...@gmail.com

Book
Geotherapy: Innovative Methods of Soil Fertility Restoration, Carbon Sequestration, and Reversing CO2 Increase

Please join and support us on Patreon