Clarification on Terminologies

Brennan Kinney

May 2, 2014, 8:18:28 PM5/2/14
to software-teste...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone!

I'm new to Software Testing, I was previously a developer and have recently started a training course for ISTQB certification and shortly after hopefully the start of a great career in Software Testing :)

I can't say that the course material or tutor has instilled much confidence in me other than being able to recall material for the multichoice exam. I'm more concerned about applying what we're learning and the tutor has not been too helpful in this regard.

One of the main issues I'm having trouble with is some of the terminology, especially Test Case and Test Procedure. On one hand we're told a Test Procedure is a sequence of Test Cases to run in a particular order, on the other we're told a Test Procedure is the steps to follow to verify a Test Case. It gets a bit more complicated as we're shown examples of nesting Test Cases within a single Test Case, I would have thought that'd be a sequence/Test Procedure. Are these two terms the same thing pretty much? I've tried looking around online via google and definitions are fairly inconsistent everyone seems to have their own views on these terms. Perhaps it will vary from company to company and I just need to go with how the company I work for defines it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time :)

David Greenlees

May 3, 2014, 2:46:42 AM5/3/14
to software-teste...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brennan,
I don't have a lot of time now... but want to say that you shouldn't worry about what's in that course. That may sound nasty, but there is much we can tell you about the subject. Others may chime in before I get a further chance, but I will attempt to reply in greater detail early next week.

Welcome to software testing mate!

DG

srinivas kadiyala

Jun 28, 2014, 1:51:17 AM6/28/14
to software-teste...@googlegroups.com
Welcome to testing As you progress with project, you will get to know - how the definitions / concept works...